Melville bridge club

The Melville Bridge Club is a contract bridge club situated in the centre of Edinburgh. It was established in 1936 and with 300 members it is currently the largest bridge club in Edinburgh and one of the largest in Scotland.

The club has members ranging in all abilities from beginners to grand-masters. It is home to a significant number of Scotland's current and past internationalists. In the first World Mindsport Games in 2008 in Beijing all bar one of the open team and the majority of the ladies team came from the club.

The club hosts pairs and teams duplicate events and also rubber bridge. The club is also extensively used for matches and events organised by the Eastern District of the Scottish Bridge Union - the governing body for the game in Scotland. Various national events are also staged in the club.

Visitors are welcome to play at the club and details are on the web site.

The club first rented property at 44 Melville Street in the Edinburgh New Town, one of the grander streets in Edinburgh named after Viscount Melville. In 1950 the club moved to four storey Victorian Town House at 9 Grosvenor Crescent which it still occupies.

9 Grosvenor Crescent was built in 1868 firstly as a private house but during the years has changed its use, becoming a maternity home during the Second World War and then part of the Edinburgh College of Domestic Science.

During the excavations for the new building some Bronze Age swords were found [2] for details.

The building is opened to the public each year as part of Scotland's Doors Open day which is organised in Edinburgh by the Cockburn Association.

A bridge club of the same name exists in The City of Melville in Australia.

External links

  • Homepage of the Melville Bridge Club
  • Scottish Bridge Union
  • Scottish Bridge Union, East District
  • Cockburn Association
  • City of Melville Bridge Club, Australia


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.