World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Miles City Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030532052
Reproduction Date:

Title: Miles City Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Aerospace Defense Command, Miles City, Montana, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Miles City Air Force Station

Miles City Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Miles City AFS is located in Montana
Miles City AFS
Miles City AFS
Location of Miles City AFS, Montana
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1954
In use 1954-1968
Garrison information
Garrison 902d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 902d Radar Squadron

Miles City Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-98, NORAD ID: Z-98) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 10.1 miles (16.3 km) southwest of Miles City, Montana. It was closed in 1968.

History

Miles City Air Force Station was established as part of the planned deployment by Air Defense Command of forty-four Mobile radar stations across the United States to support the permanent Radar network established during the Cold War for air defense of the United States. This deployment had been projected to be operational by mid-1952.

Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment. The station consisted of 60 buildings, including operation and administrative facilities, dormitories, family housing units, radar domes, and the normal support facilities/utilities. Helicopter pad and skeet range were also included.

The 902d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was activated at the station on 1 October 1954. By August 1955 the 902nd AC&W Squadron was operating an AN/MPS-7 search radar and an AN/MPS-14 height-finder radar, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. In 1958 an AN/FPS-20 radar replaced the AN/MPS-7. In 1961 this set was upgraded and redesignated as an AN/FPS-66. Also in 1961 an AN/FPS-6B height-finder radar was installed.

During 1961 Miles City AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-20 at Malmstrom AFB, Montana. After joining, the squadron was re-designated as the 902d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 July 1961.

The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-98.

In 1965, the site received an AN/FPS-27 search radar, replacing the AN/FPS-66. The AN/MPS-14 was removed in 1967.

In addition to the main facility, Miles City operated an AN/FPS-14 Gap Filler sites:

  • Glendive, MT (M-98A)
  • Brockway, MT (M-98B)

The 902nd Radar Squadron was inactivated in June 1968. Its AN/FPS-27 radar set was then shipped to Mount Hebo AFS, Oregon (M-100/Z-100) and installed there, replacing the troublesome AN/FPS-24 which had recently lost its third radome.

Today, the former Miles City Air Force Station is now the Fort Keogh Livestock and Range Research Lab (USDA), part of Montana State University. Many of the Air Force buildings have been torn down, replaced by modern facilities. A few foundations and deteriorating buildings remain of the sites military past.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Established as the 902d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Great Falls AFB, Montana on 20 May 1953 (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Miles City AFS on 1 October 1954
Redesignated 902d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 July 1961
Discontinued and inactivated on 18 June
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.