World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mount Street Gardens

Article Id: WHEBN0000756271
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mount Street Gardens  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Parks and open spaces in the City of Westminster, Mayfair, Gardens in London, List of places in London, List of public art in the City of Westminster
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Mount Street Gardens

The entrance in Mount Street Gardens to the Church of the Immaculate Conception

The Mount Street Gardens is a public English Civil War named Oliver's Mount.

Burial ground and workhouse

An old map showing the gardens as burial grounds (the second block south of Grosvenor Square)

The land was originally sold by South Audley Street, was planned the Grosvenor Chapel, but this was not built until 7 years after the burial ground was laid out, in 1730.

To the north of the ground, the site of what is now 103 Mount Street, was the parish's workhouse, wherein the poor were given work, board, and lodgings, built in 1725 and then enlarged in the 1780s to provide room for the parish watchmen's watch-house and the parish office.

In 1854, an Bayswater Road, closed shortly afterwards, and the City of Westminster Cemetery, Hanwell in west London was used instead.

As the population of London grew, so did the demand upon the workhouse, and it became so overcrowded that in 1871 the decision was taken to move the workhouse to a new site, spurred on also by plans to widen Mount Street. In 1883, some land for the new workhouse on Buckingham Palace Road was bought from the new Duke of Westminster, Hugh Grosvenor, thricely-great-grand-nephew of the Baronet who originally sold the site of the burial ground, and paupers were transferred both to there and the parish's other workhouse at Little Chelsea on the Fulham Road, with the workhouse finally being demolished in 1886 and converted into more parish offices.

Development as a public space

At twilight

After the demolition of the workhouse, the whole area was somewhat redeveloped; Carlos Place (then named Charles Street) was to be extended to the south of Mount Street over the site of the workhouse's chapel for access to the Church of the Immaculate Conception on Farm Street. The church, built between 1844 and 1849, was in a decorated gothic-style, designed by Joseph John Scoles, and with the altar by A.W.N. Pugin, and is now a Grade II* listed building. However, the new road planned through the disused burial ground was never built.

The gardens' footpaths are those originally created in 1889, and the bronze drinking fountain of a rearing horse was designed for the local estate agent Henry Lofts in 1891 by Sir Ernest George, who was also the designer of 104-111 Mount Street. As of 2005 the fountain is largely removed for restoration.

The gravestones had been removed to the gardens' tool shed, but when the shed itself was demolished in 1931 to make way for the Mayfair telephone exchange between the gardens and Farm Street, the City Engineer’s office made a copy of the inscriptions, now stored in City of Westminster Archives Centre, along with other records from the Parish.

The paths in the gardens are lined with benches, many of which have been donated by the families of US citizens who

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.