World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Muddy River, Massachusetts

Article Id: WHEBN0025315107
Reproduction Date:

Title: Muddy River, Massachusetts  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Brookline, Massachusetts, Charles River, Roxbury, Boston, Kenmore (MBTA station), Back Bay Fens, Public Garden (Boston), Emerald Necklace, Jamaica Pond, Olmsted Park, Riverway
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Muddy River, Massachusetts


The Muddy River is a series of brooks and ponds that runs through sections of Boston's Emerald Necklace, including along the south boundary of Brookline, Massachusetts (a town that went by the name of Muddy River Hamlet before it was incorporated in 1705). The river, which is narrower than most waterways designated as rivers in the United States, is a protected public recreation area surrounded by parks and hiking trails, managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.

The river flows from Jamaica Pond through Olmsted Park's Wards Pond, Willow Pond and Leverett Pond. It then flows through a conduit under Route 9 and into a narrow park called The Riverway, from which it flows through underground pipes to a gatehouse located at Brookline Avenue. At this point some of the water runs north to drain into the Charles River, while some drains into the Back Bay Fens, which were formerly a saltwater marsh. The Muddy River continues from the Fens in a stone-paved channel surrounded by a narrow strip of parklands, toward its connection with the Charles River via the Charlesgate area. In a series of stone bridges and tunnels, it passes under Boylston Street, Massachusetts Turnpike, Commonwealth Avenue, Storrow Drive, and a series of elevated connecting ramps (the Bowker Overpass).

History

In its natural state, the outlet of the Muddy River into the tidal Charles was much wider. It formed the eastern Brookline border with Boston and Roxbury (depending on the year), from Brookline's incorporation in 1705 until Boston's annexation of Allston-Brighton in 1873.[1]

The present form of the river and surrounding parks was created by the Emerald Necklace project, between 1880 and 1900. Under the direction of designer Frederick Law Olmsted, the project reclaimed marshland, creating sculpted and planted riverbanks.

The Muddy River is mentioned by John Winthrop, in his famous "Journal of John Winthrop," as the site of an unidentified flying object in March of 1638 or 1639, as described to him by witness James Everell. This event is considered by some to be the first recorded instance of such occurrences.

Restoration

The river is currently undergoing a restoration project to improve flood control and water quality, enhance its aquatic and riparian habitats, restore the landscape and historic resources, and implement improved management practices.[2] This project is intended to prevent repeat occurrences of the Muddy River's past damaging floods.

References

External links

  • Muddy River Restoration Project
  • Emerald Necklace Conservancy Riverway history page

Coordinates: 42°20′32″N 71°06′30″W / 42.342114°N 71.108236°W / 42.342114; -71.108236

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.