World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Muros de Nalón

Article Id: WHEBN0003636645
Reproduction Date:

Title: Muros de Nalón  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Avilés (comarca), FEVE, Nalón, Félix Granda, Muro
Collection: Municipalities in Asturias, Parishes in Muros De Nalón
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Muros de Nalón

Muros de Nalón
Municipality
200px
Town Hall of Muros de Nalón
Flag of Muros de Nalón
Flag
Coat of arms of Muros de Nalón
Coat of arms
Muros de Nalón is located in Spain
Muros de Nalón
Location in Spain
Coordinates:
Country  Spain
Autonomous community  Asturias
Province Asturias
Judicial district Pravia
Capital Muros
Government
 • Alcalde María del Carmen Arango Sánchez (PSOE)
Area
 • Total 8.09 km2 (3.12 sq mi)
Highest elevation 131 m (430 ft)
Population
 • Total 1,981
 • Density 240/km2 (630/sq mi)
Demonym(s) murense
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 33138
Website Official website

Muros de Nalón is a small coastal municipality in the Spanish province of Asturias, with an area of 8.09 square kilometers. It is bounded to the north by the Bay of Biscay, to the east by the river Nalón, to the south by Pravia and the west by Cudillero. The eucalyptus tree is the town tree and occupies great parts of the slopes down to the coast.

There are two parishes (administrative divisions): Muros de Nalón (which is divided in five villages: Ea, Pumariega, Muros, Reborio and Villar) and San Esteban de Pravia.

Two important buildings in the municipality are the Palace of Valdecarzana and Vallehermoso and the Church of Santa María. It is possible to watch a panoramical view of the Asturian coast from the Mirador del Espíritu Santo.

Contents

  • History 1
    • 19th century onwards 1.1
  • External links 2
  • See also 3

History

Until the 19th century its history is tied to the municipalities of Pravia, Cudillero and Soto del Barco. All these municipalities were integrated in an only City Hall, so it is difficult to analize Muros' individual history.

In 14 April 1847, Muros de Nalón constituted as a Municipality separated of Pravia. In its origins, it was known as Muros or Muros de Pravia but in 27 June 1916 it adopted the name of Muros de Nalón by a Royal Decree.

19th century onwards

Lighthouse of San Esteban de Pravia, Muros de Nalón, Asturias

The 19th century brought major changes, and in the Peninsular War, French troops under the command of Marshal Michel Ney, sacked the town. It was in this century when people began litigation against the council House of Valdecarzana, being integrated in 1827 into the ordinary jurisdiction of the council of Motherwell. Two decades later, Muros de Nalón constitutes as an independent municipality. In this century opens the road to San Esteban de Pravia.

In 1916 the City acquired the new official name Muros de Nalón. A remarkable fact was in September 1934 weapons occurs prior to the revolutionary process, Vapor Turquesa landed a large cargo of weapons that were supposed to Ethiopia, remaining permanently in Asturias after several problems.

At Muros, the rebellion broke a day late to other areas of Asturias, the Civil War has not made transcendent. After the Spanish Civil War and the creation of Ensidesa in Avilés, the municipality experienced a great industrial development until the 1970s, when the crisis affected the Spanish industry.

External links

  • Official website

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.