World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Nangang District, Taipei

Article Id: WHEBN0000354663
Reproduction Date:

Title: Nangang District, Taipei  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Taipei Metro, Open Source Developers' Conference, Freeway 3 (Taiwan), Taipei, Neihu District
Collection: Districts of Taipei
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Nangang District, Taipei

Nangang
南港區
District
Nangang District
Taipei WTC Nangang EXPO Hall
Country Taiwan
Region Eastern Taipei
Divisions
Area
 • Total 21.8424 km2 (8.4334 sq mi)
Area rank Ranked 5th of 12
Population
 • Total 121,257
 • Rank Ranked 12th of 12
 • Density 5,600/km2 (14,000/sq mi)
Postal code 115
Nangang District
Traditional Chinese 南港區

Nangang District is a southeastern district of Taipei, Taiwan. It is the seat of the Academia Sinica, Taipei World Trade Center Nangang Exhibition Hall, and Nankang Software Park (NKSP).

Administration

The following placenames are romanized in Hanyu Pinyin, with Wade-Giles in parentheses, which is the legacy standard spelling:

  • Baifu (百福)
  • Chengfu (成福)
  • Dongxin (東新 Tunghsin)
  • Dongmin (東明 Tungmin)
  • Hecheng (合成 Hoch'eng)
  • Hongfu (鴻福)
  • Jiuzhuang (舊庄 Chiuchuang)
  • Jiuru (九如 Chiuju)
  • Liancheng (聯成 Liench'eng)
  • Nangang (南港 Nankang)
  • Renfu (仁福 Jenfu)
  • Sanchong (三重 Sanch'ong)
  • Wanfu (萬福)
  • Xinfu (新富 Hsinfu)
  • Xinguang (新光 Hsinkuang)
  • Xixin (西新 Hsihsin)
  • Yucheng (玉成 Yüch'eng)
  • Zhongnan (中南 Chungnan)
  • Zhongyan (中研 Chungyen), which was part of Jiuzhuang until December 1974, contains the Academia Sinica.

History

Nangang was settled in 1735 by Fujianese, especially in the present villages of Nangang, Sanchong, and Dongxin. The placename was Great Jia'na Fortress (大加蚋堡), Nangang-Sanchong Port (南港三重埔). The Qing era name of Lamkang'a (南港仔; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lâm-káng-á; literally: "southern port"), refers to its position on Keelung River.

In 1920, during the Japanese era, Nangang was part of Naiko Village (内湖庄), Shichisei District (七星區), Taihoku Prefecture. In December 1945, after the handover of Taiwan to the Kuomintang, the administrative levels were changed to Neihu Township (內湖鄉), Qixing District (七星區), Taipei County. July 6 the following year, as proposed by Mayor Que Shankeng (闕山坑), Nangang was separated into its own township (南港鎮). In 1967, it became a district of Taipei.

Education

Miscellaneous

Transportation

See also

External links

  • Nangang District Office, Taipei City
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.