World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Neufchâtel-Hardelot

Article Id: WHEBN0013127312
Reproduction Date:

Title: Neufchâtel-Hardelot  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Côte d'Opale, Landing Craft Assault, Agglomeration community of Boulogne, Arrondissement of Boulogne-sur-Mer, Neufchâtel, Handley Page Type W, Boulonnais (land area)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Neufchâtel-Hardelot

Neufchâtel-Hardelot
Neufchâtel-Hardelot
Neufchâtel-Hardelot

Coordinates: 50°37′10″N 1°38′30″E / 50.6194°N 1.6417°E / 50.6194; 1.6417Coordinates: 50°37′10″N 1°38′30″E / 50.6194°N 1.6417°E / 50.6194; 1.6417

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Boulogne-sur-Mer
Canton Samer
Intercommunality Communauté d'agglomération du Boulonnais.
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Jean-Pierre Pont
Area
 • Land1 20.85 km2 (8.05 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 3,867
 • Population2 density 190/km2 (480/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62604 / 62152
Elevation 4–155 m (13–509 ft)
(avg. 56 m or 184 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Neufchâtel-Hardelot is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

Neufchâtel-Hardelot is a farming and tourist town of forests, golf courses and beaches, situated some 8 miles (13 km) south of Boulogne, at the junction of the D940, D308 and D215 roads. Junction 27 of the A16 autoroute is just within the commune’s territory, the western border of which is formed by the English Channel.

History

At the end of the 7th century, the grassy dunes area was known as "Mont Saint Frieux", 153 metres above sea level, where a village was first built. The name later became Saint-Férieux.

The name Neufchâtel has its origins in a castle, in this case the Chateau de Bellefontaine, which was engulfed by shifting sands. This may be the "Novum Castellum" that gave its name to Neufchâtel. Opinion is divided. The name Neufchâtel was recorded here for the first time in 1173 and again in 1199 in the charter of Samer.

In the early 1900s, Hardelot was lined with white sand dunes facing the sea and a 600 hectares (1,500 acres) forest. It attracted many hunters of deer, wild boar, hares, rabbits, partridge, snipe and pheasant.

In 1905, an English patron, Sir John Whitley, and his French friends bought 400 hectares (990 acres) hectares of land and created the Hardelot company. Whitley had already owned Hardelot castle since 1897, and was one of the promoters of Le Touquet-Paris-Plage. He wanted to develop Hardelot as a new and fashionable resort and a world centre of sports.

From 1908 onwards, 20 new villas were built around the tennis courts on the seafront by the famous architect Louis-Marie Cordonnier, a friend of John Whitley, who designed these vast and unique villas that today characterize Hardelot. In 1911, aviator Louis Blériot had a villa built near the levee. Around that time, some of the first land yachting races were held here, attracting many followers to the beach.

During the Second World War, Hardelot was occupied and looted by the Germans and blown up by Allied bombing in 1944.

Since then, Hardelot-Plage has been rebuilt. It is still littered with the numerous villas hidden in pine forests which have made its name. It is also a prominent sporting place with two golf courses as well as tennis and equestrian clubs.

Population

Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
1834 2007 2392 2712 3035 3592 3867
Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates

Places of interest

  • The church of St.Pierre, dating from the sixteenth century.
  • Saint-Augustin’s church at Hardelot.
  • The thirteenth century castle.
  • Two ancient manorhouses.

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Official Town website
  • Official Tourist website
  • Official website: Tourism in Boulogne and the Boulonnais region
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.