World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Neuve-Chapelle

Neuve-Chapelle
Neuve-Chapelle
Neuve-Chapelle

Coordinates: 50°35′04″N 2°46′52″E / 50.5844°N 2.7811°E / 50.5844; 2.7811Coordinates: 50°35′04″N 2°46′52″E / 50.5844°N 2.7811°E / 50.5844; 2.7811

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Béthune
Canton Laventie
Intercommunality Communauté d'agglomération de l'Artois
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Maurice Morel
Area
 • Land1 1.86 km2 (0.72 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 1,374
 • Population2 density 740/km2 (1,900/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62606 / 62840
Elevation 17–20 m (56–66 ft)
(avg. 19 m or 62 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Neuve-Chapelle is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

Neuve-Chapelle is situated some 8 miles (12.9 km) northeast of Béthune and 16 miles (25.7 km) southwest of Lille, near the junction of the D947 and D171 roads.

History

The village gave its name to a First World War battle which began on March 10, 1915, and in which it was captured, not for the first time, by the IV and I Indian Corps. It was later adopted by the County Borough of Blackpool and was awarded the Croix de Guerre in 1922.

Population

Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
440 462 471 548 864 958 1374
Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates

Places of interest

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Website about the battle of Neuve-Chapelle
  • The CWGC Indian memorial
  • Neuve-Chapelle Farm CWGC cemetery
  • The CWGC British cemetery
  • The war memorial (French)
  • Neuve-Chapelle on the Quid website (French)
  • NB - All maplinks can be found by clicking on the coordinates link at the top of the page.
  1. REDIRECT
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.