World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Newton Poppleford

Article Id: WHEBN0011611100
Reproduction Date:

Title: Newton Poppleford  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: River Otter, List of places in Devon, List of civil parishes in Devon, West Country Carnival, East Devon Way, Newton Poppleford railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Newton Poppleford

Coordinates: 50°41′55″N 3°17′42″W / 50.698719°N 3.295049°W / 50.698719; -3.295049

Newton Poppleford
Devon
Population 1,682 
OS grid reference SY085896
Shire county Devon
Region South West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Postcode district EX10
Dialling code 01395
Police Devon and Cornwall
Fire Devon and Somerset
Ambulance South Western
EU Parliament South West England
UK Parliament East Devon
List of places
UK
England
Devon

Newton Poppleford is a large village (population 1,692) situated on the A3052 road between Exeter and Sidmouth on the west side of the River Otter in East Devon, within the East Devon AONB.

The village is on the route of a Roman road from Axmouth to Exeter. It includes some whitewashed cob thatched cottages, several shops and St Luke's Church which was founded in 1331 (with the current structure dating from 1897). There is also a church hall, village hall, primary school and sports pavilion. A carnival procession travels through the village in the autumn. Newton Poppleford railway station closed in 1967 and was subsequently demolished.

The surroundings are known for market gardening because of the excellent soil quality in the area. A variety of daffodil (the King Alfred) was originated in the village and received an award from the Royal Horticultural Society in 1899. This renowned flower, with its large colourful trumpets, was first cultivated in the house of 'The Gardens' and premises, which is found in the centre of the village. It is one of the oldest houses in the village, dating back to the 15th Century, with cob walls and thatched roof with a quaint brook (small tributary) passing through the garden joining the River Otter. There are also fruit farms nearby.

The name Newton Poppleford means 'The New Town by the Pebble Ford.' It was originally settled by the Saxons and founded as a 'new town' in the 13th century by the Lord of the Manor of Aylesbeare. He was granted the right to hold a market, which was originally sited at the centre of the town.

The hamlet of Harpford and Harpford Woods are situated on the other side of the River Otter and the East Devon Way path passes close by.

There are a large number of country walks around the village and to the surrounding areas and villages.

External links

  • BBC Discovering Devon - Newton Poppleford
  • Otter Valley Weather
  • Newton Poppleford Weather
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.