World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 147 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0029991922
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 147 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: No. 334 Squadron RAF, No. 69 Squadron RAF, No. 343 Squadron RAF, No. 328 Squadron RAF, No. 344 Squadron RAF
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 147 Squadron RAF

No. 147 Squadron RAF
Active 17 October 1941 – 15 February 1943
15 September 1944 – 15 September 1946
1 February 1953 – 15 September 1958
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Air Force
Motto Latin: Assidue portamus
("We carry with regularity")
Insignia
Squadron Badge A shuttle in front of a staff
Squadron Codes RT (Apr 1939 - Sep 1939)

No. 147 Squadron RAF was a Royal Air Force Squadron that was a transport unit in World War II.

History

Formation and World War II

Plans for formation of the squadron in World War I never came to fruition. It was formed on 17 October 1941 and deployed to Egypt as a bomber unit but was attached to other units due to a lack of aircraft and disbanded on 15 February 1943.

On 5 September 1944 it formed as a Transport Command unit equipped with Douglas Dakotas. Avro Ansons were added and operated until the squadron disbanded on 13 September 1946. It reformed on 1 February 1953 as an overseas ferry unit moving aircraft such a Sabres and Hunters before final disbandment upon merger with No. 167 Squadron RAF on 15 September 1958.

Aircraft operated

Aircraft operated by No. 147 Squadron RAF
From To Aircraft Variant
Oct 1941 Sep 1942 Douglas Dakota
Mar 1942 May 1942 Avro Anson XII
Mar 1942 May 1942 Avro Anson C.19

References

External links

  • History of No.'s 146–150 Squadrons at RAF Web
  • 147 Squadron history on the official RAF website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.