World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 184 Squadron RAF

 

No. 184 Squadron RAF

No. 184 Squadron RAF

Active 1942-1945
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Air Force
Motto NIHIL IMPENETRABILE

No. 184 Squadron was a Royal Air Force squadron during the second world war.

History

No.184 Squadron was formed at RAF Colerne on 1 December 1942, as a fighter bomber unit equipped with the Hawker Hurricane. Initially, Mark IIDs with 40 mm anti-tank cannon were received and the squadron trained with the Army in ground attack practice guns, bombs and rockets, replaced the IIDs and rockets became the main anti-tank weapon used by the Second TAF. Attacks on enemy shipping began on 17 June 1943 and cross-channel operations became No.184's main task.

In October 1943, four Spitfires were received for conversion training but in December it was the Typhoons which replaced the Hurricanes. With these the squadron began a series of attacks on enemy communications in preparation for the invasion. On 27 June 1944, the squadron moved to Normandy and supported the 21st Army Group throughout the battle of Normandy and the subsequent advance to the Netherlands by attacking enemy tanks and transport. After spending the winter in the Netherlands, it moved to Germany on 21 March 1945, claiming to be the first squadron based on German soil during World War II on 21 March 1945.

Ground support was continued right up until the end of the war until 184 was disbanded on 10 September 1945 at Flensberg in Germany.Interestingly the Royal Air Force Church at St. Clement Danes in London has the queens crown despite the squadron disbanding before Elizabeth ascended the thrown.

Aircraft operated

Dates Aircraft Variant Notes
1942-1943 Hawker Hurricane IID
1943-1944 Hawker Hurricane IV
1943 Supermarine Spitfire VB
1944-1945 Hawker Typhoon IB

References

  • History of 184 Squadron with photos supplied by pilots and relatives


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.