World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 186 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0028765489
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 186 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sopwith Cuckoo, Bristol F.2 Fighter, No. 3 Group RAF, RAF Tain, List of Supermarine Spitfire operators, RAF Stradishall, RAF Lympne
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 186 Squadron RAF

No. 186 Squadron RAF
Active 1 April 1918 - 1 February 1920
27 April 1943 - 5 April 1944
5 October 1944 -17 July 1945
Role Pilot Training, Torpedo, Fighter-bomber, Heavy Bomber
Garrison/HQ Ayr, Drem, Tuddenham
Equipment Spitfire, Typhoon, Lancaster

No. 186 Squadron of the Royal Air Force was formed on 1 April 1918 at East Retford, providing night pilot training for home defence and on the Western front. On 31 December 1918 it was reformed as an operational shipboard unit aboard HMS Argus. In 1919, the squadron became a torpedo development unit, renumbering to become 210 Squadron on 1 February 1920.

The Squadron reformed again, on 27 April 1943, at RAF Drem as a fighter-bomber squadron, eventually receiving its first Hurricanes in August, after transferring to RAF Ayr, converting to Typhoons and later, Spitfire VBs. The squadron was renumbered as 130 squadron on 5 April 1944.

Six months later, on 5 October 1944, The squadron was reformed as a Bomber Command Lancaster unit, based at Tuddenham, and flew its first bombing raid 13 days later. The squadron was disbanded on 17 July 1945. [1]

Notes

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.