World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 195 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0018701421
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 195 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: No. 3 Group RAF, West Wratting
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 195 Squadron RAF

No. 195 Squadron RAF
Active 1942-1944
1944-1945
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Air Force
Motto VELOCITATE FORTIS

No. 195 Squadron was a Royal Air Force aircraft squadron that operated during the second world war at first in the ground attack role and later as heavy bomber unit with the Avro Lancaster.

History

No. 195 Squadron was formed at RAF Duxford on 16 November 1942 with the Hawker Typhoon. After a long training phase the squadron became operational at RAF Ludham with the Typhoon operating offensive Rhubarb sorties and from the end of the year was involved with Roadstead operations using the Typhoons as bombers. The squadron was disbanded at RAF Fairlop on 15 February 1944.

On 1 October 1944 the squadron was reformed at RAF Witchford mainly from the former C Flight of 115 Squadron. Part of No. 3 Group it operated the Avro Lancaster in the heavy bomber role and operated from RAF Wratting Common until the end of the war in Europe. At the end of the European war the squadron was involved in supply drops over the Netherlands and transporting Prisoners of War to the UK from Germany and Italy. The squadron was disbanded for the final time on 14 August 1945.

Aircraft operated

Dates Aircraft Variant Notes
1942-1944 Hawker Typhoon IB
1944-1945 Avro Lancaster I and III

Squadron Code Letters

Dates Letters
1942-1944 JE
1944-1945 A4

References

Notes

Bibliography

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.