World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

No. 218 Squadron RAF

No. 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron RAF
Active 24 April 1918 – 1918
1936 – 1945
Country United Kingdom United Kingdom
Branch Royal Air Force
Role Precision Bombing
Garrison/HQ France, RAF Marham, RAF Downham Market
Motto In Time
Insignia
Squadron Badge An hourglass
Squadron Codes SV (1938)
HA (1939–1947)

No. 218 Squadron RAF was a squadron of the Royal Air Force. It was also known as No 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron after the Governor of the Gold Coast and people of the Gold Coast officially adopted the squadron.[1]

History

World War I

The squadron was first formed at Dover on 24 April 1918, going into action a month later in France. The unit flew Airco DH.9s in daylight bombing raids, and during its 5 months of wartime service, it dropped 94 tons of bombs over enemy targets in France and Belgium, flying a total of 117 sorties. In 1919, the unit was disbanded, having claimed 37 enemy aircraft during the war.

World War II

With the onset of World War II, the unit was reformed on 16 March 1936 from elements of 57 Squadron at Upper Heyford with the Hawker Hind and requipped with the Fairey Battle in 1938, and on 2 September 1939, the unit moved back to France, where it began dropping leaflets and flying reconnaissance missions. But by June 1940, having suffered heavy losses while bombing German troops going into France, it was evacuated to England, where it re-equipped with the Bristol Blenheim. In November, it rearmed with Vickers Wellingtons, and began bombing a wide variety of enemy targets with the longer-range Wellingtons. In December 1941, it began rearming with Short Stirlings and continued its bombing raids against everything from infantry columns to V-weapon sites. In July 1942, the unit moved to Downham Market and in March 1944 to Woolfox Lodge in Rutland. In August 1944, it moved to Methwold with the Avro Lancaster.

The diversionary bombing campaign Operation Glimmer was undertaken by the Short Stirling bombers of No 218 Squadron aiming for Pas de Calais. The Squadron was directed by the civilian physicist Sebastian Pease of RAF Bomber Command's Operational Research Section to ensure that the deception was authentic.[2] It is to the credit of the pilots and navigators of 218 Squadron that the German shore batteries actually opened fire on the "ghost" fleet that they created. The German 2nd Panzer Division and 116th Panzer Division remained at the Pas de Calais for at least fourteen days after the invasion.


In December 1944 it moved to Chedburgh as a transport unit. It ceased wartime operations in May 1945, just before the German surrender. Afterwards, it began performing a number of relief efforts in Europe, ranging from rescuing POWs to transporting food and other supplies.

218 Squadron's awards include a Victoria Cross awarded posthumously to Flight Sergeant Arthur Louis Aaron for his "most conspicuous bravery" during a raid on Turin on 12/13 August 1943. Despite his aircraft being badly damaged and suffering casualties, he brought his aircraft in to land at Bone, Algeria now Annaba airfield in North Africa where he later died of wounds.

Post War

The unit was linked to No. 115 Squadron RAF between February 1949 and March 1950 and also for the period June 1950 and June 1957. The squadron was reformed – as 218(SM) Sqn. – on 1 December 1959 as one of 20 Strategic Missile (SM) squadrons associated with Project Emily. The squadron was equipped with three Thor Intermediate range ballistic missiles, and based at RAF Harrington in Northamptonshire. In October 1962, during the Cuban missile crisis, the squadron was kept at full readiness, with the missiles aimed at strategic targets in the USSR. The squadron was disbanded on 23 August 1963, with the termination of the Thor Program in Britain.

Notable pilots

References

External links

  • 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association
  • RAF History – Bomber Command 60th Anniversary
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.