No. 254 Squadron RAF

No. 254 Squadron RAF
Active WW2
1959 - 1963 (as 254(SM) Sqn.)
Role Strategic Missile Force
Garrison/HQ RAF Melton Mowbray
Equipment Thor IRBM

No 254 Squadron was formed in May 1918 from Nos.492, 517 and 518 Flights at the coastal reconnaissance station at Prawle Point and flew anti-submarine patrols until the end of the war, disbanding on 22 February 1919.

On 30 October 1939, No.254 reformed at Stradishall as a shipping protection squadron. Equipped with Blenheims it began convoy patrols over coastal shipping off the East Coast on 29 January 1940, being transferred from fighter to Coastal Command. In April 1940, it began reconnaissance missions in addition to its defensive tasks and later provided fighter escorts for anti-shipping raids. In May 1941, the squadron moved to Northern Ireland returning to Scotland in December where it converted to Beaufighters in June 1942. Torpedo training began in August and in November, No.254 joined the strike wing at North Coates for the rest of the war and in January 1946, received a Buckmaster for conversion training in preparation for the arrival of Brigands. These were not taken into service by Coastal Command strike squadrons and No.254 retained Beaufighters until renumbered 42 Squadron on 1 October 1946.

No. 254 Squadron of the Royal Air Force was reformed in 1959 as one of 20 Strategic Missile (SM) squadrons associated with Project Emily. The squadron was equipped with three Thor Intermediate range ballistic missiles. and based at RAF Melton Mowbray.

In October 1962, during the Cuban missile crisis, the squadron was kept at full readiness, with the missiles aimed at strategic targets in the USSR. The squadron was disbanded with the termination of the Thor Program in Britain, in 1963.

External links

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/254squadron.cfm

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.