World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 345 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0030756779
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 345 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: No. 145 Wing RAF, List of Supermarine Spitfire operators, List of air forces, No. 238 Squadron RAF, No. 334 Squadron RAF
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 345 Squadron RAF

No. 345 Squadron RAF
Active 30 January 1944 - 27 November 1945
Country  United Kingdom
Allegiance  Free French Forces
Branch  Royal Air Force
Motto Latin: Nil actum credo si quid supersii agendum (I think nothing done if anything remains undone)
Insignia
Identification
symbol
A stork

The No. 345 Squadron RAF was a Free French ground attack fighter squadron given a Royal Air Force squadron number during World War II.

History

The squadron was formed in Ayr, Scotland on 30 January 1944 from GC II/2 Free French airmen who had been based in the Middle East and was equipped with British Spitfire aircraft. It then moved to RAF stations in England including Shoreham, Fairwood Common and Biggin Hill.

It followed the allied advance from the Normandy beachheads across Europe and by November 1945 was based at Friedrichshafen, Germany. It was under RAF control until 27 November 1945 when it transferred to French control.

Aircraft operated

Aircraft operated by no. 345 Squadron RAF
From To Aircraft Variant
Mar 1944 Sep 1944 Supermarine Spitfire VB
Sep 1944 Apr 1945 Supermarine Spitfire HF IX
Apr 1945 Nov 1945 Supermarine Spitfire XVI
[1]

References

  1. ^ C.G.Jefford (1988). RAF Squadrons. UK Airlife Publishing.  

External links

  • Squadron history on the official RAF website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.