World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

North Charleston Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030238091
Reproduction Date:

Title: North Charleston Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Charleston Air Force Station, 32d Air Division, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

North Charleston Air Force Station

North Charleston Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
North Charleston AFS is located in South Carolina
North Charleston AFS
North Charleston AFS
Location of North Charleston AFS, South Carolina
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1955
In use 1955-1980
Garrison information
Garrison 792d Aircraft Control and Warning (later Radar) Squadron

North Charleston Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-113 NORAD ID: Z-113) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located in the City of North Charleston, South Carolina. It was closed in 1980.

History

North Charleston AFS was established in 1954 by Air Defense Command as one of a planned deployment of forty-four Mobile radar stations to support the permanent ADC Radar network in the United States sited around the perimeter of the country. This deployment was projected to be operational by mid-1952. Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment.

This site became operational on 1 June 1955 when the 792d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron activated an AN/MPS-7 radar at the site, designated M-113. Logistical support for the radar site was provided by the adjacent MATS Charleston AFB, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

By 1956 operational radars included the AN/MPS-7, AN/GPS-3, AN/MPS-14, and AN/MPS-8 sets. In late 1959 this site was also performing air traffic control duties for the FAA with a newly installed AN/FPS-20A search radar and AN/MPS-14 set.

In 1961 the search radar was upgraded and redesignated as an AN/FPS-66 and an AN/FPS-26 height-finder radar was installed. During 1962 North Charleston AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-04 at Fort Lee AFS, Virginia. After joining, the squadron was redesignated as the 792d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 25 March 1962. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. On 31 July 1963, the site was redesignated as NORAD ID Z-113. By 1966 the site was operating an AN/FPS-27.

In addition to the main facility, Fort Fisher AFS operated several unmanned Gap Filler sites:

  • Stateburg, SC (M-113A/Z-113A):
  • Georgetown SC (M-113B/Z-113B):
  • Parris Island MCAS SC (M-113C/Z-113C):

The sites at Statesburg and Georgetown were opened in 1959 AN/FPS-18. All the Gap Fillers were closed in June 1970.

Over the years, the equipment at the station was upgraded or modified to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the information gathered by the radars. The facility came under Tactical Air Command jurisdiction in 1979 with the inactivation of Aerospace Defense Command and the activation of ADTAC. North Charleston AFS was closed on 4 June 1980.

In 1980 the Air Force built a height-finder tower at Jedburg, SC, an FAA site located twenty-two miles northwest of Charleston and closed North Charleston AFB. The North Charleston GATR (Ground Air Transmitter Receiver) site (R-113), operated by the 1968th Communications Squadron remained open temporarily after the parent radar sited closed.

Today North Charleston Air Force Station has been mostly torn down. Some former AF buildings are now used as government offices for the city of North Charleston. The large support buildings for the FPS-27, FPS-26 and FPS-66 radars remain. The former housing units used for low-income housing. Also the site hosts a local Marine Corps Reserve Training Center. The Gap Filler at Parris Island is now part of a golf course; the one at Georgetown County Airport has been redeveloped; the Stateburg site remains, with an existing radome .

Air Force units and assignments

Emblem of the 792d Radar Squadron

Units

  • Constituted as the 792d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Tinker AFB, OK on 16 March 1951
Inactivated on 4 June 1951 (not manned or equipped)
Activated at Ethan Allen AFB (L-3), VT on 1 November 1953. (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Dobbins AFB, GA (M-87) on 24 December 1953 (not manned or equipped)
Moved to Charleston AFB, SC on 1 October 1954 (not manned or equipped)
Moved to North Charleston Air Force Station on 1 June 1955
Redesignated as 792d Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 25 March 1962
Redesignated as 792d Radar Squadron on 1 July 1974
Inactivated on 4 June 1980

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.