World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Old Town, Staten Island

Article Id: WHEBN0020191189
Reproduction Date:

Title: Old Town, Staten Island  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: New Netherland settlements, Fort Nassau (South River), Fort Wilhelmus, Fortifications of New Netherland, Bergen Square
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Old Town, Staten Island

Welcome to Old Town sign, corner of Old Town Road and North Railroad Avenue

Old Town is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Staten Island, located on its East Shore. Old Town was established in August 1661 as part of New Netherland, and was the first permanent European settlement on Staten Island.[1] Originally described as "Oude Dorpe" (old village in Dutch), much of its original territory makes up what is present-day South Beach, with parts of Midland Beach and Dongan Hills. The area was settled by a group of Dutch, Walloon (from what is now southern Belgium and its borders with France) and French Protestants (Huguenots) led by Walloon Pierre Billiou.

Staten Island Railway's Old Town Powerhouse at 145 Tacoma Street and North Railroad Avenue. This structure, built in the 1980s, replaced an earlier structure that had been destroyed by fire.

Present-day Old Town is typically described as the neighborhood bordered by Grasmere to the north, Dongan Hills to the south, South Beach to the east, and Concord to the west. The neighborhood is served by the Old Town station of the Staten Island Railway. The neighborhood is also served by the S78 and S79 buses on Hylan Boulevard and the S74 and S76 buses on Richmond Road, and the X1, X2, X3, and X9 express buses.

Unique features

The New York Tattoo Museum, located on Old Town Road, opened in 2010.[2]

The neighborhood is home to the campus of Staten Island's largest circulation daily, the Staten Island Advance, a newspaper that likes to refer to Old Town as either Grasmere or Dongan Hills, even though its residents refer to it as Old Town.

The Academy of St. Dorothy, a private Roman Catholic elementary school sits on Hylan Boulevard in Old Town.

Carmel Richmond Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center (formerly Carmel Richmond Nursing Home), a Roman Catholic nursing home sits on Old Town Road. The home was established by the sisters of the Carmelite Order in the 1970s.

A Very Special Place, a school for developmentally disabled children was opened on Quintard Street in the late 1990s.

Notable residents

James Oddo, an American politician and member of the New York City Council is a former resident of Old Town.[3]

References

  1. ^ Staff. "HUGUENOTS WILL STAGE STATEN ISLAND FETE; Will Celebrate Today Settlement of Old Town in 1661-- Gov. Roosevelt Invited.", The New York Times, June 28, 1931. Accessed November 13, 2008.
  2. ^ Tattoo Museum Opens On Staten Island
  3. ^ James Oddo: From Old Town Road to City Hall

Sources

Dickenson, Richard. Holden's Staten Island: The History of Richmond County. Center for Migration Studies, New York. 2002. Pg.17. ISBN 1-57703-028-1.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.