World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Orlando AFB

For the Strategic Air Command base in Orlando, see McCoy Air Force Base.


Naval Training Center Orlando is a former United States Navy training installation located in Orlando, Florida. It was established in 1940 as a Orlando Army Air Base, a World War II training base that was also used for coastal patrols during World War II. Its airfield, the present day Orlando Executive Airport, was returned to the City of Orlando at the end of World War II while the remaining base infrastructure north of Florida Highway 50 was later used as Orlando Air Force Base, a ground technical training and organizational headquarters installation, until it was transferred to the Navy in 1968.

Overview

The base was located just north of Florida Highway 50, directly north of the present day Orlando Executive Airport. Access through the main gate was on Corrine Drive at the intersection with Bennett Drive. An additional gate was located in the northeast corner of the base on Lakemont Avenue and provided access to the cantonment area containing USAF Hospital Orlando, as well as access to and from the adjacent city of Winter Park. Orlando AFB was located approximately eight miles north of McCoy Air Force Base (formerly Pinecastle AFB), a second USAF installation also located in Orlando.

Orlando AFB was inactivated as an Air Force installation on 31 December 1967 and jurisdiction was transferred to the United States Navy effective 1 Janunary 1968, although the last major USAF unit was not inactivated on the station until June 1970. The last USAF organization, the USAF Liaison Office to the Florida Wing of the Civil Air Patrol, continued to remain as a tenant activity on the subsequent U.S. Navy installation until its relocation to McCoy AFB in 1971.

On 1 January 1968, the installation was renamed by the Navy as Naval Training Center Orlando, and became the newest of three Naval Training Centers, conducted initial enlisted recruit training (e.g., "boot camp") along with extant facilities NTC Great Lakes, Illinois and NTC San Diego, California. From 1968 until 1998, NTC Orlando was also the sole location for providing recruit training for female enlisted personnel. In addition to recruit training, NTC Orlando also conducted selected enlisted apprenticeship and technical school training, as well as nuclear power training for both officers and enlisted personnel until late 1999, when it was closed per a 1993 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission decision.

History

World War II

Orlando Municipal Airport opened in 1928 on 65 acres of land north of Lake Underhill. In 1940, with Europe at war, the United States Army Air Corps took over the airport for defense purposes, activating it as the Orlando Army Air Base on 1 September 1940.

A vast construction program was subsequently begun at the airport, extending to the north and west of the original airfield. The first Army Air Corps planes arrived on September 5, 1940 and the base became the Interceptor Command School of the United States Army Air Corps (later United States Army Air Forces). During the next two years, additional land was obtained and multiple auxiliary landing fields were built throughout Central Florida to the north, south and west of the base:[1]

Bomber Airstrip: 28°40′50″N 082°05′32″W / 28.68056°N 82.09222°W / 28.68056; -82.09222

Fighter Airstrip: 28°41′30″N 082°03′51″W / 28.69167°N 82.06417°W / 28.69167; -82.06417



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.