World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Osceola Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030520961
Reproduction Date:

Title: Osceola Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 37th Air Division, Semi-Automatic Ground Environment, Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Osceola Air Force Station

Osceola Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
22 May 2000
Osceola AFS is located in Wisconsin
Osceola AFS
Osceola AFS
Location of Osceola AFS, Wisconsin
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1951
In use 1951–1975
Garrison information
Garrison 674th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 674th Radar Squadron

Osceola Air Force Station (ADC ID: P-35, NORAD ID: Z-35) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 5.6 miles (9.0 km) south-southeast of Osceola, Wisconsin. It was closed in 1975.

History

In late 1950 Air Defense Command selected the East Farmington, Wisconsin site as one of twenty-eight radar stations built as part of the second segment of the permanent radar surveillance network. Prompted by the start of the Korean War, on July 11, 1950, the Secretary of the Air Force asked the Secretary of Defense for approval to expedite construction of the second segment of the permanent network. Receiving the Defense Secretary’s approval on July 21, the Air Force directed the Corps of Engineers to proceed with construction.

Construction of the station began in 1950 and was opened in June 1951. The 674th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was assigned and began operating a pair of AN/CPS-6B radars from the site. 261 enlisted and 33 officers were assigned, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. East Farmington was re-designated as Osceola Air Force Station on 1 December 1953. The radars were retired at the end of the decade as an AN/FPS-7 search radar and two AN/FPS-6A height-finder radars were installed during 1959.

During 1959 Osceola AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-10 at Duluth AFS, Minnesota. After joining, the squadron was re-designated as the 674th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 15 July 1959, its direction and control duties taken over by DC-10. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 to Duluth where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile. On 31 July 1963, Osceola was re-designated as NORAD ID Z-35. In addition, the two height-finder radars were modified to AN/FPS-90 sets in 1963. One of the AN/FPS-90 was retired a few years later.

In addition to the main facility, Osceola operated the following AN/FPS-18 Gap Filler sites:

  • Northfield, MN (P-35B)
  • Jim Falls, WI (P-35C)
  • La Crescent, MN (P-35F)

Over the years, the equipment at the station was upgraded or modified to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the information gathered by the radars.

In November 1974 the Air Force announced that Osceola would be closing due to what was called "redundancies with more strategically located radars". The 674th Radar Squadron (SAGE) was inactivated in March 1975 as part of a draw-down of ADC, and was closed on 30 April.

Today, Osceola Air Force Station is used as an Association Retreat Center. Most of the buildings are in use and well-maintained. The former radar towers are still standing.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • 674th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated on 8 October 1950
Redesignated 674th Radar Squadron (SAGE), 15 July 1959
Redesignated 674th Radar Squadron, 1 February 1974
Inactivated 31 March 1975

Assignments:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.