World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey

Article Id: WHEBN0023345415
Reproduction Date:

Title: Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey


Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey is a monastery in a rural area of the U.S. state of Oregon. The monks are members of the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance, commonly called the Trappists. It is located in Yamhill County north of Lafayette about 30 miles (48 km) southwest of Portland.

Currently the Abbey is home to about 28 monks. The monks live communally in the abbey. Their day is balanced by prayer, work, reading, and contemplation.

The Abbey is located on 1,300 acres (530 ha) of forestland in low hills of the western Willamette Valley. The forest adds to the spiritual setting for the community, acts as a buffer to neighbors, and allows for cloistered retreat. It is also the basis for a sustainable forestry enterprise that provides income to the monks. Other income-generating enterprises include a book bindery, a wine warehouse for local wineries, and a fruitcake bakery.

History

The Abbey began in April 1948 in Pecos, New Mexico as a foundation established by the Trappist community at Valley Falls, Rhode Island which later became St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Massachusetts. In March 1955, the monks, not finding farming sufficiently productive in northern New Mexico, sold the property to Benedictine monks and moved the abbey to its present site in Oregon.

The title Our Lady of Guadalupe commemorating the Virgin Mary's apparitions at Tepeyac, near Mexico City in 1531, was originally chosen because of the Mexican influence in the southwestern U.S., and was gladly brought along to the Northwest.

The Abbey serves as a spiritual sanctuary for guests. The monks operate a non-denominational retreat facility for both men and women who stay in small cottages and make use of a library and a meditation hall.

A new 10,000-square-foot (930 m2) church was built in 2007, combining traditional Cistercian architecture with Pacific Northwest design elements.

External links

  • Guadalupe Abbey Website
  • Trappist Abbey Bookbindery
  • Abbey Wine Warehouse

Coordinates: 45°17′02″N 123°05′28″W / 45.284°N 123.091°W / 45.284; -123.091

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.