World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Owingsville Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030430697
Reproduction Date:

Title: Owingsville Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, Cape Makkovik Air Station, Cut Throat Island Air Station, Fox Harbour Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Owingsville Air Force Station

Owingsville Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Owingsville AFS is located in Kentucky
Owingsville AFS
Owingsville AFS
Location of Owingsville AFS, Kentucky
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1956
In use 1954-1957
Garrison information
Garrison 809th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Owingsville Air Force Station (ADC ID: M-111) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 4.3 miles (6.9 km) northwest of Owingsville, Kentucky. It was closed in 1957.

History

Owingsville Air Force Station was part of the planned deployment by Air Defense Command of forty-four Mobile radar stations across the United States to support the permanent Radar network established during the Cold War for air defense of the United States. This deployment had been projected to be operational by mid-1952. Funding, constant site changes, construction, and equipment delivery delayed deployment.

The 809th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was activated at Owingsville on 1 December 1954 with an AN/TPS-1D Radar. Operational status was achieved in 1956, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. Budget cuts forced closure on 30 November 1957.

The site was then redesignated as an unmanned gap-filler radar annex (P-82B) controlled by Snow Mountain AFS, KY. It later was assigned as a Gap Filler for Guthrie AFS, WV (P-43C) and eventually was closed in the 1960s. It is unclear if Owingsville was ever equipped with an AN/FPS-14 or FPS-18 radar.

Today the radar site is obliterated and abandoned. The former containment area is now owned by the Kentucky DOT.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • Constituted as the 809th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Activated at Willow Run AFS (P-23), MI on 25 June 1953
Moved to Owingsville AFS on 1 December 1954
Inactivated on 30 November 1957

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.