World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Palinuro (ship)

History
Name: Palinuro
Operator: Marina Militare
Builder: Anciens Chantiers Dubigeon, France
Laid down: 1933
Launched: March 21, 1934
Commissioned: 1934
Recommissioned: July 16, 1955
Renamed:
  • Commandant Louis Richard (1934),
  • Jean Marc Aline (1948),
  • Palinuro (1951)
Identification: MMSI 247939000
Fate: Still in service
General characteristics
Type: Iron-hulled barquentine
Tonnage: 858 gross tons
Length: LOA:69 m
Beam: 10 m
Height: 37,50 m at mainmast
Draught: 4,80 m
Sail plan: Barquentine rig, 15 sails
Speed: 9.5 knots
Crew: 80

The Palinuro is a three-masted, iron-hulled barquentine, active as sails trainings vessel for the Italian Navy.

The Italian sail training vessel Palinuro is named after Palinurus the famous helmsman of Aeneas's ship (after the fall of Troy the defeated Trojans detoured the Mediterranean). Palinurus is seen as a prototype of an experienced navigator or guide.

History

Built at the shipyard Anciens Chantiers Dubigeon in Nantes by order of Joseph Briand (together with her sister ship Lieutenant René Guillon) and named Commandant Louis Richard, the ship was intended as barquentine. However the building costs of both ships ruined the original customer even before the ships were finished. The new owner Pècheries du Labrador from Saint-Malo finished the ships as schooner to be used for cod fishing.

In 1948 the Commandant Louis Richard was bought by shipowner Bonin from Noirmoutier-en-Île, changed to a barquentine and renamed Jean Marc Aline to be used for fishing in the Southern Indian Ocean. Eventually this activity became unprofitable, thus the ship was set for sale.

In 1951 the Italian Navy was looking for a replacement for the Cristoforo Colombo (passed to the Soviet Union), bought the vessel and renamed her Palinuro. After a complete renovation the ship is used as training vessel for Senior Ratings

The four insignias of the Italian Marina Coat of Arms are Venice (top left), Genoa (top right), Amalfi (bottom left) and Pisa (bottom right).

External links

  • Official website
  • English source
Line art of the Palinuro
Palinuro at the coast of Liguria
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.