World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Palissy

Palissy Pottery Ltd
Private company
Fate Following mergers and buy-outs, ceased to exist
Predecessor A.E. Jones (Longton) Ltd
Founded 1853 (1946 in final form)
Defunct 1988
Headquarters Stoke-on-Trent, England
Key people
George Jones

Palissy is the brand name under which the English firm of A.E. Jones and Sons, of Stoke-on-Trent, marketed their china and pottery. The name was chosen as a tribute to Bernard Palissy, the famous French potter of the 16th century, creator of Palissy ware. The company origins may date back to the 1850s, and be a split from the Jones family, such as George Jones, who produced quite upmarket items through the 1900s.

History

They were bought out in 1958 by the Royal Worcester group, and in turn the Carborundum company that already owned Spode china and took over Hammersley china in 1972, and then Royal Worcester in 1974. Later pieces are marked Royal Worcester Group, then Royal Worcester Spode Group, but production was undoubtedly still in Longton. From 1982, production of Palissy and Hammersley ranges was merged, until their final demise in 1988.

Pottery

Earlier marks were the word Palissy within a sort of shield or tureen shaped outline, which the few published sources seem to think stopped before 1940, but was clearly used as late as 1950, then about 1935 to 1939 some items have a palette outline shape with Palissy Hand painted. Plus some use of the two words Palissy Ware, sometimes in an art-deco squared format. Postwar usage was also the two words Palissy England, with England written along the horizontal tail of the letter y and pottery with the word Palissy impressed. Plus, perhaps to dupe postwar American export customers, a mark of Palissy Established 1853, around the design of a whiskered head and shoulders presumably trying to allude to Bernard Palissy. Many of the same pattern transfers were used, but Palissy ware is somewhat cream and quite distinctive against the whiter body of Hammersley, in the same physical shapes.

External links

  • Profile at local Museum site
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.