World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Parliament of Yugoslavia

Article Id: WHEBN0016166206
Reproduction Date:

Title: Parliament of Yugoslavia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Džafer Kulenović, Elections in Yugoslavia, Yugoslavian parliamentary election, 1974, Yugoslavia, Breakup of Yugoslavia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Parliament of Yugoslavia

The Parliament Building of Serbia, formerly the Federal Assembly Building.
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Yugoslavia
Administrative divisions

The Parliament of Yugoslavia was the deliberative body of Yugoslavia. Before World War II in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia it was known as the National Assembly (Narodna skupština), while in the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia the name was changed to Federal Assembly (Serbo-Croatian: Savezna skupština / Савезна скупштина). It was the official deliberative body of the Yugoslav state, which existed from 1918 to 1992 and resided in the building which now convenes the National Assembly of Serbia.

Kingdom

The first parliamentary body of the state was the Temporary National Representation which existed until the first elections were held on 28 November 1920. The new parliament was known as the Constitutional Assembly. The assembly adopted the controversial Vidovdan Constitution on 28 June 28, 1921, after which it became known as the National Assembly.

During the January 6th Dictatorship, the kingdom became a constitutional monarchy and a Senate was formed in additional to the National Assembly.

Anti-Fascist Council for the National Liberation of Yugoslavia — AVNOJ

During the Yugoslav Resistance.

Socialist Federal Republic

As a result of the Treaty of Vis, the Anti-Fascist Council of the People's Liberation of Yugoslavia was reformed into the Temporary National Assembly which also included several dozen members of the assembly elected in 1938. After the consolidation of power by the communists in late 1945, the Constitutional Assembly was established. The Constitutional Assembly was divided into two houses: the Federal Assembly, and the Assembly of Peoples.

With the adoption of a constitution in 1946, the name National Assembly was adopted again. It was divided into two councils: the Federal Council, and the Council of Peoples. In 1956, the name Federal People's Assembly was adopted divided into the Federal Council and the Council of Producers.

In 1963, the Federal Assembly was divided into five councils: the Federal Council, the Economic Council, Educational-Cultural Council, Social-Health Council and the Organization-Political Council. In 1968 the Council of Peoples was reintroduced. The Federal Assembly of Yugoslavia was the only pentacameral (later hexacameral) assembly on the planet. In 1974 the Federal Assembly was divided again into two chambers: the Federal Council and the Council of Republics and Regions.

The Federal Assembly was composed of appointed members from the League of Communists of Yugoslavia compiled from the Leagues of Communists of each constituent republic.

The Federal Assembly was bicameral, with the lower house called the Federal Chamber and upper house, the Chamber of Republics and Provinces. The Federal Chamber had 30 members from each Republic and 20 from each Autonomous Province, while the Chamber of Republics and Provinces had 12 members from each Republic and 8 from each Autonomous Province.[1]

When the League of Communists collapsed in 1990 amid ethnic tensions, the Federal Assembly was shut down. The institution would be resurrected as the Federal Assembly of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in 1992, but this assembly had elected members.

See also

References

  1. ^ Constitution of the SFRY on WikiSource (Serbian)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.