World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Peelite

Peelites
Founder Robert Peel
Founded 1846
Dissolved 1859
Split from Conservative Party
Merged into Liberal Party
Ideology Free Trade
Liberal Conservatism
Politics of United Kingdom
Political parties
Elections
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the United Kingdom
United Kingdom portal

The Peelites were a breakaway faction of the British Conservative Party, existing from 1846 to 1859, who joined with the Whigs and Radicals to form the Liberal Party ('Liberal' referring to their position on economic matters). They were called "Peelites" because they were initially led by Sir Robert Peel, who was the British Prime Minister and Conservative Party leader in 1846.

The Peelites were characterised by commitment to free trade and a managerial, almost technocratic, approach to government. Though they sought to maintain the principles of the Conservative Party, Peelites disagreed with the major wing of that party, the landed interest, on issues of trade; in particular, the issue of whether agricultural prices should be artificially kept high by tariffs. The Peelites were often called the "Liberal Conservatives", in contrast to "Protectionist Conservatives" led by Benjamin Disraeli and Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby.

In 1845, facing a serious famine in Ireland, Peel sought to lower food prices by repealing the Corn Laws. He was able to carry the repeal vote in the House of Commons, but only at the price of splitting the Conservative Party; a split which led to the fall of Peel's government in June 1846, and its replacement by a Whig government led by Lord John Russell.

The leading members of the Peelite faction that developed after the 1846 split of the Conservative Party were:

The Peelites numbered about a third of the old Conservative party following the 1847 general election. Their main political positions at that time were closer to the Protectionist Conservatives than to the Whigs and Radicals in parliament, except on the issue of Benjamin Disraeli, that the Conservative Party was unable to reconcile the Peelites, even after the Conservatives officially abandoned protection in 1852.

After Peel's death in 1850, the Peelite faction (also sometimes referred to as the 'Liberal-Conservatives') was led by Sir James Graham and Lord Aberdeen, the latter of whom became prime minister in 1852 by forming a government in coalition with the Whigs. This government fell in 1855 as a result of the unpopularity of its hesitant attitude during the Crimean War.[1]

After the fall of the Aberdeen government, the Peelite faction took most of the blame for their management of the war in the Crimea. The party further lost cohesion with some members including Gladstone, Graham and Herbert accepted cabinet posts in the new government led by Stratford Canning after which the Peelites with now no agreed overall leader appeared to be a band of independents rather than a political faction. In the 1857 election their numbers further decreased to around 26 (or maybe less than 20 - identifying who was and who was not a Peelite became increasingly difficult) .

The Peelites finally disappeared as a distinctive political faction when they agreed to combine with the Whigs, Radicals and Independent Irish Party MPs to bring down the Conservative government of the Earl of Derby in 1859. The subsequent creation of Lord Palmerston's ministry out of this combination was the birth of the British Liberal Party. Several leading Peelites (including Gladstone, Herbert, Cardwell, and Newcastle, but notably not Graham, who was one of the driving forces behind the coalition) accepted cabinet posts in this ministry, though some Peelites became independents or returned to the Conservatives.

See also

References

  1. ^ Conacher, J. B. The Aberdeen Coalition 1852-1855. A Study in Mid-Nineteneth-Century Party Politics. Cambridge, 1968, p. 492.
  • Jones, Wilbur Devereux and Arvel B. Erickson. The Peelites 1846-1857. Columbus, OH : Ohio State University, 1972.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.