Pembroke, Bermuda

Pembroke Parish is one of the nine parishes of Bermuda. It is named after English aristocrat William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke (1580-1630).

It occupies most of the short peninsula which juts from the central north coast of Bermuda's main island, and surrounds the city of Hamilton on three sides (the fourth being taken up by the shore of Hamilton Harbour). As such, its shape bears some passing resemblance to the county of Pembrokeshire in Wales. The peninsula juts into the eastern side of the Great Sound, the large expanse of water which dominates the geography of western Bermuda. In the east, Pembroke meets Devonshire Parish. As with most of Bermuda's parishes, it covers just over 2.3 square miles (about 6.0 km² or 1500 acres).

Natural features in Pembroke include Spanish Point, and Point Shares, as well as numerous small islands off Point Shares.

Other notable features of Pembroke include Fort Hamilton and Government House.

Pembroke Marsh East was designated a Ramsar site on May 11, 1999.

External links

  • Bermuda Online

Coordinates: 32°17′50″N 64°46′50″W / 32.29722°N 64.78056°W / 32.29722; -64.78056

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.