World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pennsylvania Company

 

Pennsylvania Company

Pennsylvania Company
Reporting mark PRR
Locale Pittsburgh, PA to Chicago, IL
Dates of operation April 1, 1871–January 1, 1918
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge

The Pennsylvania Company was a major holding company, owning and operating much of the Lines West territory (west of Pittsburgh and Erie, Pennsylvania) of the Pennsylvania Railroad, including the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway, the PRR's main route to Chicago. It also owned but did not operate the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad (Pan Handle Route), another line to Chicago.

History

The Pennsylvania Company was incorporated April 7, 1870 in William Thaw of the PRR. Tom Scott replaced Thaw as the president January 20, 1871. On April 1 of that year the company began operating several railroads; others were acquired later.

Lines operated by the Pennsylvania Company just before its demise in 1918

The Pennsylvania Company operated the Erie Canal of Pennsylvania from September 16, 1870 to February 4, 1871.

On January 1, 1918, soon after the United States Railroad Administration took over all U.S. railroads, all Pennsylvania Company leases were transferred to the PRR. On March 1, 1920, when the lines were returned to the PRR, they were separated into four regions - the Eastern Region, Central Region, Northwestern Region and Southwestern Region.

The Pennsylvania Company however stayed around as a real estate and other fields, and the company lasted through the 1968 PRR merger into Penn Central Transportation.

In 1973 or 1974 several subsidiaries were created - the Pennrec Company for theme park investments (including Six Flags Great Adventure and Stars Hall of Fame), the Penn Orlando Company, and Penn Arlington, Inc. (which bought Six Flags Over Texas from the Great Southwest Corporation).

External links

  • Corporate Genealogy - Pennsylvania Company
  • PRR Chronology
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.