World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge

Article Id: WHEBN0003571863
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Donnelley Wildlife Management Area, St. Helena Sound Heritage Preserve, Saint Helena Sound, Beaufort County, South Carolina, Bluffton, South Carolina
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge

Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge
IUCN category IV (habitat/species management area)
Map showing the location of Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge
Map showing the location of Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge
Location Beaufort County, South Carolina, United States
Nearest city Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Coordinates
Area 4,053 acres (16 km2)
Established 1975
Visitors 400,000 (in 2004)
Governing body U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge is a 4,053-acre (16 km2) National Wildlife Refuge located in Beaufort County, South Carolina between the mainland and Hilton Head Island. Named after Major General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, it was established to provide a nature and forest preserve for aesthetic and conservation purposes.

The refuge is one of seven refuges administered by the Savannah, Georgia. The complex has a combined staff of 31 with a fiscal year 2005 budget of $3,582,000.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Topography 2
  • Wildlife 3
  • Facilities 4
    • Trails 4.1
  • See also 5
  • External links 6

History

Pinckney Island NWR is archaeologically rich, with 115 prehistoric and historic sites identified. Analysis of the prehistoric sites indicate human occupation dating from the Archaic Period (8000-1000 BC), with intensive use during the Mississippian Period (1000-1500 AD).

Historic artifacts indicate that small scale, impermanent settlements were made on Pinckney by French and Spanish groups in the 16th and 17th centuries. Permanent settlements did not occur until 1708 when Alexander Mackay, an Indian trader, obtained title to 200 acres (0.81 km2) of present-day Pinckney Island. By 1715, Mackay had acquired the rest of the island, as well as most of the other islands which comprise the present refuge. In 1736, Mackay's widow sold the islands to Charles Pinckney, father of General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney.

General Pinckney was a commander during the Revolutionary War, a signer of the United States Constitution, and, in 1804 and 1808, a presidential candidate for the Federalist Party. After he inherited the islands from his father, Pinckney was an absentee landowner until 1804, when he moved to the island and began managing the property. The Pinckney family developed the islands into a plantation, removing much of the maritime forest and draining and tilling the fertile soil. By 1818, over 200 slaves labored to produce fine quality long-staple Sea Island Cotton on 297 acres (1.20 km2); 386 slaves lived on the island by 1840.

The plantation flourished until the American Civil War, when it was occupied by Union troops. Small skirmishes took place on Pinckney Island. The most significant incident occurred on August 21, 1862, when the Confederate Beaufort Light Artillery/11th Infantry attacked the camp of Company H, Third Regiment, New Hampshire Volunteers, killing four Union soldiers and wounding ten men (eight Confederate, two Union).

US Army records reflect that black troops were recruited for the Union Army from the area. Five military (U.S. Colored Troops) headstones are located in a cemetery on the northwest side of Pinckney Island. It is possible that the U.S. Army had recruited slaves from the Pinckney plantation.

After the war and late century agricultural recession, the plantation did not prosper. By the 1930s, it was virtually abandoned. In 1937, after more than 200 years of Pinckney family ownership, the plantation was sold to Ellen Bruce, wife of James Bruce, a New York banker who used the property as a hunting preserve. The Bruces planted hardwoods and pine, built ponds to attract waterfowl and provide for irrigation, and placed 70 percent of the farm fields back into cultivation.

In 1954 Edward Starr and James Madison Barker, a distinguished MIT alumnus and early leader in the field of international business, purchased the islands. They continued to manage them as a game preserve. In 1975, they donated the islands to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service to be managed exclusively as a National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) and as a nature and forest preserve for aesthetic and conservation purposes. The Pinckney Island NWR was established on December 4, 1975.

Topography

The 4,053-acre (16 km2) refuge includes Pinckney Island, Corn Island, Big Harry and Little Harry Islands, Buzzard Island and numerous small hammocks. Pinckney is the largest of the islands and the only one open to public use. Nearly 67% of the refuge consists of salt marsh and tidal creeks. A wide variety of land types are found on Pinckney Island alone: saltmarsh, forestland, brushland, fallow field and freshwater ponds. In combination, these habitats support a diversity of bird and plant life.

Wildlife

Wildlife commonly observed on Pinckney Island include waterfowl, shorebirds, wading birds, raptors, neo-tropical migrants, and white-tailed deer, with large concentrations of white ibis, herons, and egrets. Other species include the American alligator, flatwoods salamander, nine-banded armadillo, bald eagle, and the wood stork.

Facilities

There is no visitor center at the refuge. However, there are opportunities for hiking, cycling, photography and wildlife observation.

Each year the refuge holds a one-day quota deer hunt to ensure that population numbers remain in balance with the surrounding habitat. However, fishing is prohibited from the land portions of the refuge.

Trails

There are 10 miles (16.1 km) of hiking trails on the refuge and nine recommended hikes:

  • Ibis Pond - 1.2 miles (1.9 km), round trip; one and a half hours walking at a leisurely pace
  • Shell Point - 4.6 miles (7.4 km), round trip; four hours and 15 minutes
  • Wood Stork Pond - 2.7 miles (4.3 km), round trip; two and a half hours
  • Osprey Pond - 3.0 miles (4.8 km), round trip; three hours
  • Nini Chapin Pond - 3.6 miles (5.8 km), round trip; three and a half hours
  • Bull Point - 5.0 miles (8.0 km), round trip; five hours
  • Dick Point - 7.4 miles (11.9 km), round trip; six and a half hours
  • Clubhouse Pond - 6.2 miles (10.0 km), round trip; five and a half hours
  • White Point - 7.8 miles (12.6 km), round trip; seven hours

See also

External links

  • Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge homepage
  • FWS profile of Pinckney Island NWR
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.