World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Pittsburg and Shawmut Railroad

Pittsburg and Shawmut Railroad
Reporting mark PSR
Locale Brockway, Pennsylvania to Freeport, Pennsylvania
Successor Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Headquarters Kittanning, Pennsylvania
Logo used after the takeover by G&W

The Pittsburg and Shawmut Railroad (reporting mark PSR), also known as the Shawmut Line, was a short line railroad company operating passenger and freight service on standard gauge track in central and southwestern Pennsylvania. Since 2004, it has been operated as part of the Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad, which is owned by Genesee & Wyoming Inc.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Beginning 1.1
    • Management 1.2
    • Spelling of Pittsburg 1.3
  • External links 2

History

The Pittsburg and Shawmut Railroad is often confused with the similarly named Pittsburg, Shawmut and Northern Railroad from which the P&S had its origins. Further adding to the confusion is the fact that both were nicknamed the Shawmut Line, both operated in roughly the same geographic area, and both used similar diamond logos during their history. In fact the two were separate and unrelated companies after their 1916 split.

The main line consisted of approximately 88 miles (140 km) of standard gauge track extending from Brockway, Pennsylvania to Freeport, Pennsylvania. The main shops were located in Brookville, Pennsylvania.

Beginning

The Pittsburg and Shawmut Railroad Company began life on July 21, 1903 as the Brookville and Mahoning Railroad, leased by the Pittsburg, Shawmut and Northern Railroad. When the PS&N declared bankruptcy in 1905, the B&M was spun off into a separate entity and was renamed in 1909 due to confusion with the Boston and Maine Railroad's initials. Like its parent, the P&S was also financially troubled in its early years. The company struggled until corporate fortunes improved with the war mobilization of the 1940s. Coal was the principle commodity for the line for its entire existence. Doodlebugs and passenger trains ran on the route in the early years but had all been eliminated by 1939.

The company acquired a ten mile (16 km) section of Driftwood, Pennsylvania from Conrail and organized it as the Mountain Laurel Railroad.

The company began using the red Shawmut Line logo in the 1970s. It was identical to the old PS&N RR logo in everything but color.

Management

The company operated under its own management until 1996 when it was acquired by the Genesee & Wyoming Inc.. The Genessee & Wyoming operated the Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad under its own banner until January 1, 2004 when it was absorbed into the Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad, another G&W company. Simultaneously, a new company with the same name was created to purchase the property, which is now operated by the BPRR. (The P&S also acquired the residual common carrier obligation on the lines.) Several portions of the main line were abandoned before the absorption and several other since.

Spelling of Pittsburg

The spelling of Pittsburgh as Pittsburg derives from the company’s origins in the Pittsburg, Shawmut & Northern Railroad. That company was chartered in 1899 when the official spelling of the name of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was without the "h". The city name was spelled Pittsburg from 1891 to 1911 due to an effort by the United States government to standardize the spelling of place names in the United States.

External links

  • Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad [1]
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.