World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ponte Sisto

Article Id: WHEBN0018599083
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ponte Sisto  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pons Agrippae, Torre dei Capocci, Comitium, Pons Probi, Torre delle Milizie
Collection: Bridges Completed in 1479, Bridges in Rome, Rome R. VII Regola, Rome R. Xiii Trastevere, Stone Bridges in Italy
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ponte Sisto

Ponte Sisto

Ponte Sisto is a footbridge in Rome's historic centre, spanning the river Tiber. It connects Via del Pettinari in the Rione of Regola to Piazza Trilussa in Trastevere. The construction of the current bridge was ordered by Pope Sixtus IV (for whom it is named) using the architect Baccio Pontelli between 1473 and 1479 to replace what remained of a prior Roman bridge named Pons Aurelius.

Roman Pons Aurelius

The predecessor bridge to Ponte Sisto, the Pons Aurelius, was first mentioned by authors in the 4th and 5th centuries and was later known in the Middle Ages as "Pons Antoninus", "Pons Antonini in Arenula", and "Pons Ianicularis id est pons ruptus vulgariter nominatus et Tremelus et Antoninus".

The Pons Antoninus was partially destroyed in 772 and rebuilt in its current form by Pope Sixtus IV, after whom it is still named to this day.

Renaissance Ponte Sisto

The bridge is architecturally characteristic because of its central circular "oculus" or eye: this was erected to diminish the river's pressure on the bridge in case of flood.

The Ponte Sisto connects the lively and Popular Campo de' Fiori area with Piazza Trilussa in Trastevere, where many young Romans gather for an aperitivo on a Friday night, with the via dei Pettinari and via Giulia in rione Regola.

The former Acqua Paola fountain now in Piazza Trilussa.

On the corner of via Pettinari and via Giulia once stood a fountain, the mostra (display) of the Acqua Paola Aqueduct, whose water was brought over the bridge from the Transtiberim to the Campo Marzio via Ponte Sisto.

After the Unification of Italy in 1870, the buildings surrounding this fountain were destroyed for the erection of the Lungotevere, and the fountain itself relocated to Piazza Trilussa on the other side of the bridge, where it delivers water to this day.

The bridge still carries eight large pipes across the river, carrying the water of the Acqua Paola.

External links

  • Welcome to Rome: Ponte Sisto
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.