World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Porte de Clignancourt (Paris Métro)

Article Id: WHEBN0000504001
Reproduction Date:

Title: Porte de Clignancourt (Paris Métro)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Paris Métro Line 4, Simplon (Paris Métro), Gare de l'Est (Paris Métro), Les Halles (Paris Métro), Cité (Paris Métro)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Porte de Clignancourt (Paris Métro)

Porte de Clignancourt
Paris Métro station
MetrodeParisPorteDeClignancourt (2)
Location 79, boul. Ornano
80 bis, boul. Ornano
82, boul. Ornano
18th arrondissement of Paris
Owned by RATP
Operated by RATP
Other information
Fare zone 1
Opened 21 April 1908 (1908-04-21)
Preceding station   Paris Métro   Following station
Porte de Clignancourt is located in Paris
Porte de Clignancourt
Porte de Clignancourt
Location within Paris

Porte de Clignancourt (French pronunciation: ​) is a station of the Paris Métro, the northern terminus of line 4, situated in the 18th Arrondissement.

The station was opened on 21 April 1908 as part of the first section of the line from Châtelet. A terminal loop is provided at the station for trains to turn around to return south towards Porte d'Orleans. Passengers usually detrain at the arrival platform and then the train proceeds empty via the loop to the departure platform. Beyond the turning loop lie a series of storage sidings and the main depot for Line 4 in Saint-Ouen.

The marché aux puces, Porte de Clignancourt, by François-Joseph Luigi Loir

Clignancourt was an ancient hamlet that belonged to the abbey of Saint-Denis, and was annexed to Paris in 1860. The term "porte" refers to a gate of the Thiers Wall built to defend Paris between 1841 and 1844 and demolished in the 1920s.

The Porte of Clignancourt is also one end of Route nationale 14, which links Paris to Rouen.

The station lies just inside the city limits of Paris; to the north of the station is the commune of Saint-Ouen. Thus a short walk from the station is the marché aux puces de Saint-Ouen (), a large flea market founded in the late 17th century and possibly where the term flea market originated about 1880.[1] Nearby is the Cimetière de Saint-Ouen, a Roman Catholic cemetery associated with Joan of Arc.

Station layout

Street Level
B1 Mezzanine for platform connection
Line 4 platform level
Side platform, doors will open on the right
Northbound Alighting passengers only
Southbound toward Mairie de Montrouge (Simplon)
Side platform, doors will open on the right


  1. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.