World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Portmadoc, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0001145516
Reproduction Date:

Title: Portmadoc, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Welsh Highland Railway, Croesor Tramway, Ffestiniog Railway, Russell (locomotive), Snowdon (disambiguation)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Portmadoc, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway

Porthmadog, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway
Russell on the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway
Locale Wales
Dates of operation 1901–1910?
Successor Welsh Highland Railway
Track gauge 1 ft 11 12 in (597 mm)

The Porthmadog, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway (PB&SSR) was a 1 ft 11 12 in (597 mm) narrow gauge railway intended to connect Porthmadog with the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways link terminus at Rhyd Ddu. Although some of the line was constructed between 1901 and 1906, it never opened and eventually became part of the Welsh Highland Railway.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Proposed route 1.1
    • Construction 1.2
    • Abandonment of the PBSSR 1.3
    • Welsh Highland Railway 1.4
  • Motive power 2

History

Nant Gwynant power station

There were several attempts by the North Wales Power and Traction Company to promote lines between Portmadoc and Beddgelert with extensions at either end. These culminated in a proposal in 1901, for a 1 ft 11 12 in (597 mm) narrow gauge electric railway to use three phase alternating current at about 630 volts using the system devised by Ganz of Budapest.

Proposed route

The PB&SSR would have run from the western end of Black Rock sands via Morfa Bychan, Borth y gest, Portmadoc and, using part of the Croesor Tramway, to Beddgelert to link with the South Snowdon Quarries (hence the title) in the Gwynant Valley. There was no intention initially to connect with the North Wales Narrow Gauge system which, at that time, terminated at South Snowdon near the village of Rhyd Ddu.

No railway construction was started but, by 1903, a revised scheme was being put forward to link up with the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways Beddgelert extension. This resulted in a further revised scheme being approved in 1904. It appears that there were legal problems with the powers given and, in 1906, these were reapproved with amendments.

Construction

Work started around 1906 and continued for a couple of years before being abandoned (certainly no work done after 1910). The line from Snowdon (Rhyd Ddu) was virtually complete for well over a mile and was used for a while (mainly during World War I) to extract timber from Beddgelert forest. At the Beddgelert end a roughly laid track for horse-drawn wagons was also used for timber.

The original intention to run to Black Rock had been forgotten and no mention was made of the line to South Snowdon quarries. However, in 1908, they did promote a further line up the Gwynant Valley and on to Betws y coed. No work was done on this line.

Abandonment of the PBSSR

Bridge abutments between Beddgelert and the Aberglaslyn pass

The North Wales Power and Traction Co Ltd, the sole PBSSR backer, overspent on the construction of the power station. It started generating electricity in September 1906, but meanwhile, completion of the railway and electrifying the NWNGR took a back seat, and in January 1906 J.C. Russell, Chairman and Managing Director of the NWNGR, insisted on terms for a two-year delay which included expenditure on "restoring the NWNGR for present steam working and providing one steam locomotive for a sum not exceeding £2,500". This resulted in the arrival of Russell as NWNGR property. In the event this delay led to an abandonment.

Sections of abandoned cuttings and embankments of the original route still survive in the Beddgelert area. These include an abandoned embankment, a completed bridge over the A498 at the southern end of Beddgelert village near the Royal Goat Hotel and nearby bridge abutments in a field.

Welsh Highland Railway

The PBSSR and North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways were later amalgamated and became the Welsh Highland Railway. Some work undertaken for the PBSSR was used for the Welsh Highland Railway.

Motive power

Ten electric locomotives were ordered from Bruce Peebles & Co. Ltd. of Edinburgh who held a licence from Ganz. At least six were built, although none were delivered. All six were scrapped during the First World War. The electrification project was abandoned about 1906 and a steam locomotive "Russell" was ordered from the Hunslet Engine Company of Leeds.

It was intended to electrify all the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways once the two lines were connected.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.