World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Post Office Research Station

The former Post Office Research Station

The Post Office Research Station at Dollis Hill, London, was first established in 1925 and opened by Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald in 1933.

In 1943 the world's first programmable electronic computer, Colossus Mark 1 was built by Tommy Flowers and his team, followed in 1944 and 1945 by nine Colossus Mark 2s. These were used at Bletchley Park in Cryptanalysis of the Lorenz cipher.

In 1957 ERNIE (Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment) was built for the government's Premium Bond lottery, by Sidney Broadhurst's team.

In 1971 Samuel Fedida conceived Viewdata and the Prestel service was launched in 1979.

In 1968 it was announced that the station would be relocated to a new centre to be built at Martlesham Heath. It was formally opened on 21 November 1975 by Queen Elizabeth and is today known as Adastral Park. The old site was released for housing, with the main building converted into a block of flats and an access road named Flowers Close, in honour of Tommy Flowers.

Paddock, a two storey World War II concrete citadel, was built underneath the Dollis Hill site.

Notable staff


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.