World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Postage stamps and postal history of Mecklenburg

Article Id: WHEBN0015858320
Reproduction Date:

Title: Postage stamps and postal history of Mecklenburg  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: German post offices abroad, Postage stamps and postal history of Belarus, Postage stamps and postal history of Guernsey, Postage stamps and postal history of Jersey, Postage stamps and postal history of Luxembourg
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Postage stamps and postal history of Mecklenburg

Stamps of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.

By the Hamburg Agreement on March 8, 1701, Mecklenburg was separated into two duchies with limited autonomy, which formed a collective state–as of 1815, the Grand Duchies of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Since 1755, they had the same constitution and were under the control of the same parliament. In 1815, both parts became Grand Duchies by the Congress of Vienna.

Post

It was reported in 1644 that there was a first regular post between Schwerin and Rostock. In 1680, Mecklenburg's state posts were founded by the dukes Gustav Adolph, Duke of Mecklenburg-Güstrow (1633-1695) and Christian von Mecklenburg Schwerin (1658-1692). After some disputes, a postal association treaty between Prussia and Mecklenburg-Strelitz was signed on June 22, 1717. Hannover, called as a mediator, tried to seize the postal authority out of the dispute. Hannover closed the Prussian posts in Boitzenburg and Escheburg and constituted its own posts. The result was a dispute with Prussia.

When the foreign troops had left the country, Prussia established a post via Grabow to Parchim, with a connection to Mecklenburg's post in Plau. There was a connection to the line Berlin-Güstrow there, which had been established in 1713 via Ferbellin, Ruppin, and Wittstock.

In 1755, the postal constraint was introduced by an edict of Duke Christian Ludwig II (1683-1759). A new regulation was issued in 1759. It regulated the extra post and the courier system. A postage table for letters and records was issued in 1764. A postal regulation of 1770 prohibited the delivery of letters and parcels of less than 25 pounds. Until 1849, the postal system of Mecklenburg-Schwerin was administered by a chamber council. After November 1, 1849, a chief postal directorate, subordinate to the minister of finance, managed the post.

On July 1, 1850, both duchies joined the German-Austrian Postal Union.

Mecklenburg-Schwerin

On July 1, 1855, stamps were introduced by Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Despite the different sizes of the stamps, they all had the same picture. Only the value of ¼ Schilling depicts the crowned head of a bull. All of the other stamps depict the country's great coat of arms with a crown, the inscription "FREIMARKE" (definitive stamp) above and "SCHILLINGE" below. On the vertical edges of the stamp, "MECKLENB" is inscribed on the left side and "SCHWERIN" on the right. The value of the stamps is indicated in the corners of the stamp. The postal stationery is provided with nearly round imprints of the values.

Mecklenburg-Strelitz

In Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the postal system was still under the control of the chamber and forest council until the changeover to the administration of the North German Confederation.

Stamps of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Mecklenburg-Strelitz did not introduce stamps until 1864. The rectangular stamps were only intended for correspondence within the state. The value is inscribed above, the indication of the currency (Silbergroschen or Schilling) is at the bottom. On the vertical edges, "MECKLENB" is inscribed on the left side and "STRELITZ" on the right. For correspondence with other countries, the stamps were octagonal and in the colours of the postal union. Within the octagon, the inscription "MECKLENB.STRELITZ" is at the top, the value in numerals is in the centre, and the value in words, with the currency indication "SILB.GR.", is below. The value imprints of the postal stationeries corresponded to those of the stamps.

Literature

all references in German

  • B. E. Crole: Geschichte der Deutschen Post. 2nd edition. Verlag W. Malende in Leipzig, Leipzig 1889. The author is Bruno Emil König from Berlin.
  • K. Schwarz (Postrat): Zeittafel zur deutschen Postgeschichte. R.V.Deckers Verlag, Berlin 1935, Vol. 22 Post- und Telegraphie in Wissenschaft und Praxis.
  • Handwörterbuch des Postwesens. Frankfurt am Main 1953, ASIN B0000BJ291

External links

  • Mecklenburg-Vorpommern "Zeitgeschichte, philatelistisch gesehen" (in German)


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.