World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

R9 (New York City Subway car)

Article Id: WHEBN0003557313
Reproduction Date:

Title: R9 (New York City Subway car)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: New York City Subway rolling stock, R44 (New York City Subway car), New York City Subway, R42 (New York City Subway car), R9
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

R9 (New York City Subway car)

R9 (New York City Subway car)
R9 1802 in passenger service on the V train in December 2007 for nostalgia holiday service
In service 1940 – 1977
Manufacturer American Car and Foundry (?), Pressed Steel Car Company (?)
Built at Chicago, Illinois, USA
Replaced Additional fleet for the IND Sixth Avenue Line and 3 additional cars replacing cars in a 1936 accident
Constructed 1940
Entered service 1940
Number built 153
Number preserved 3
Number scrapped 150
Fleet numbers 1650-1802 (motorized single units)
Capacity 56 (seated)
Operator(s) New York City Subway
Specifications
Car body construction Riveted steel
Car length 60 feet 2 12 inches (18.35 m)
Width 10 feet (3.05 m)
Height 12 feet 1 58 inches (3.70 m)
Platform height 3.76 ft (1.15 m)
Doors 8
Maximum speed 55 mph (89 km/h)
Weight ~ 84,575.5 lb (38,362.8 kg)
Traction system Westinghouse 570-D5 or General Electric 714-D4, 714-D5
Power output 190 hp (142 kW).
Electric system(s) 600 V DC Third rail
Current collection method Contact shoe
Braking system(s) WABCO Schedule AMUE with UE-5 universal valve, ME-23 brake stand, and simplex clasp brake rigging. WABCO D-3-F air compressor
Coupling system WABCO H2A
Headlight type incandescent light bulbs
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm)

The R9 was a New York City Subway car which was built in 1940 for the IND and its successors, which included the NYC Board of Transportation and the New York City Transit Authority. A total of 153 R9 (or "Arnine") cars were ordered from two different manufacturers. Cars 1650-1701 were built by American Car and Foundry, while cars 1702-1802 were built by Pressed Steel. 150 of the new cars were ordered for service on the new IND Sixth Avenue Line, which opened on December 15, 1940. The Sixth Avenue Line was the second IND Manhattan trunk line (joining the 1932 IND Eighth Avenue Line), and therefore the additional cars were needed for the new service. The remaining 3 cars in the R9 contract were ordered as replacements for 3 older IND cars that had been damaged beyond repair as a result of a 1936 collision.

The 153 R9 cars remained the newest part of the IND fleet until the arrival of the R10 cars in 1948. The R9s were also used for service on the IND exclusively until 1968, when they were displaced by the new R40 cars, and were transferred to the East New York Yard of the Eastern Division, and were used on the former BMT J, KK, LL, M, and QJ routes until 1977 when the R9's were retired, and replaced by the R46's.

Retirement and after service life

The fleet of R9 cars stayed intact and in service until being retired from service in 1976 and 1977. The last day of R9 cars in service was on March 31, 1977 as the cars made their final run on the J train.

Following their retirement, the majority of the cars were scrapped. However, three have been preserved.

Further reading

  • Sansone, Gene. Evolution of New York City subways: An illustrated history of New York City's transit cars, 1867-1997. New York Transit Museum Press, New York, 1997 ISBN 978-0-9637492-8-4

External links

  • www.nycsubway.org R9 Page
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.