World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

ROF Dalmuir

ROF Dalmuir was an Engineering Royal Ordnance Factory owned by the UK government during World War II. The factory manufactured medium-calibre guns, particularly anti-aircraft guns. After the war, the factory manufactured armoured fighting vehicles.

Contents

  • Formation of ROF Dalmuir 1
  • World War II Production 2
  • Post-war Production 3
  • Closure of the ROF and the site's reuse 4
  • References 5

Formation of ROF Dalmuir

Part of the site of the former William Beardmore and Company's Naval Construction Works at Dalmuir, Clydebank, Dunbartonshire, Scotland was bought by the Ministry of Supply, in January 1939, and it was converted into an Engineering ROF.

The Naval Construction Works had closed down in the January 1931 (during the Economic crash of 1929), with much of the equipment and plant sold off by auction. Some of the works' buildings were used by the new ROF, as they had already been converted by Beardmores for reuse as a locomotive works, tank manufacture and artillery manufacture. Other buildings were demolished and new buildings erected for the ROF.

World War II Production

ROF Dalmuir started production as a Royal Ordnance Factory under the control of the Ministry of Supply, it opened on 16 January 1941. In August 1941 it was handed over to William Beardmore and Company to run as an Agency Factory; and it returned to ROF Management control in September 1944.

It produced QF 3.75 inch AA and 4.5 inch (114 mm) gun anti-aircraft guns;

The main offices were hit in the Clydebank Blitz of 13 and 14 March 1941 and burnt for three days; but the factory reopened in three weeks.

Post-war Production

In 1951 ROF Dalmuir was converted to manufacture armoured fighting vehicles and this continued until 1957 when the site was leased to Babcock and Wilcox of Renfrew on a 15 year lease.

Closure of the ROF and the site's reuse

Babcock and Wilcox stopped using the ROF site in 1969 and the Ministry of Defence sold the site in 1970. Many of the buildings were demolished between 1971 and 1973 and Clydebank Industrial Estate was created. Part of the site is now occupied by the Golden Jubilee Hospital and the Beardmore Hotel.

References

  • Johnston, Ian, (1993). Beardmore Built: The Rise and Fall of a Clydeside Shipyard. Clydebank: Clydebank District Libraries & Museums Department. ISBN 0-906938-05-8.
  • Hay, Ian, (1949). R.O.F: The story of the Royal Ordnance Factories. 1939 - 1945. London: HMSO.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.