World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Red Cliff Air Station

Red Cliff Air Station
Part of Pinetree Line
Newfoundland, Canada
Emblem of the 642d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Coordinates
Type Radar Station
Code N-22
Site information
Controlled by Northeast Air Command
Aerospace Defense Command
Site history
Built 1953
Built by United States Air Force
In use 1953-1961
Red Cliff AS is located in Newfoundland and Labrador
Red Cliff AS
Red Cliff AS
Location of Red Cliff Air Station, Newfoundland

Red Cliff Air Station (Also known as St. Johns) (ID: N-22, C-22) is a closed General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 5.8 miles (9.3 km) north-northeast of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It was closed in 1961.

History

The site was established in 1953 as a General Surveillance Radar station, funded by the United States Air Force, one of the many that would make up the Pinetree Line of Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) radar sites.

Northeast Air Command stationed the 642d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at the station on 1 January 1953. The site was the most eastern ground radar site in North America of the USAF. It operated the following radars:

  • Search Radars: AN/FPS-502, AN/CPS-6B
  • Height Radars: AN/TPS-502, AN/CPS-6B

As a GCI base, the 642d's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. These interceptors were assigned to the 64th Air Division at Goose AFB, Labrador.

The station was reassigned to Aerospace Defense Command on 1 April 1957, and was given designation "N-22" (later "C-22."

In addition to the main facility, Red Cliff operated an AN/FPS-14 manned Gap Filler site:

The Elliston Ridge site operated between 1957 and 1961 in a relatively isolated location on the Bonavista Peninsula, about 70 miles northwest of the main station. Today it is visible in aerial photography and it remains intact, although abandoned to the elements since its closure. Broadcasting station CJOZ-FM maintains and transmits from a building and tower on the same property of the Eliston Ridge site.

Red Cliff Air Station was closed on 1 October 1961. Today the site is abandoned, unused since its closure Most of the structures remain, abandoned and deteriorating since its inactivation. It is occasionally used by local militia units as a Fighting in Built-up Areas (FIBA) training area. The area is also used my local graffiti artists, as well as paintball and airsoft players.

USAF units and assignments

Units:

  • Activated as 642d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, 1 August 1953
Inactivated 1 October 1961

Assignments:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.