World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Reid River Airfield

Article Id: WHEBN0020851949
Reproduction Date:

Title: Reid River Airfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: RAAF Base Townsville, 38th Bombardment Group, United States Army Air Forces in Australia, 2d Bombardment Squadron, 408th Bombardment Squadron
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Reid River Airfield

Reid River Airfield is a World War II airfield located to the south of the Reid River near Townsville, Queensland, Australia.

Disused since the war as an airfield, the former base is private property used for mustering cattle and horses. An arch marks the western edge of the strip, easily accessible from the main road. With permission of the owner, visitors can tour the strip. On the eastern edge of the strip are concrete pads from former buildings including the mess hall and first air station. Also, there are the remains of a B-26 crash site and a former 2nd BS camp area. Small markers, left by veterans in 1992 mark these locations.

History

The airfield, which had a single main runway running east to west, was built by the United States Army Air Forces.

Two units were based at the airfield:

  • 2nd Bombardment Squadron, 22nd Bombardment Group, 9 April-9 October 1942
  • 408th Bombardment Squadron, 22nd Bombardment Group (later re-designated the 18th Reconnaissance Squadron), 12 April-15 October 1942

Both squadrons initially flew B-26 Marauder medium bombers. The first mission by the 408th BS was on 22 April 1942 from Reid River, operating until January 1943 when the group went on R&R. In early February 1943, both the 2nd and 408th Squadrons converted from B-26 to B-25 Mitchell bombers when it was decided to send the B-26s to the Mediterranean Theatre.

See also

References

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Pacific Wrecks - Reid River Airfield

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.