World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Reid and Sigrist

Article Id: WHEBN0020840863
Reproduction Date:

Title: Reid and Sigrist  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Aerospace industry in the United Kingdom, Fane Aircraft Company, GFS Projects, Foster, Wikner Aircraft, Air Pictorial
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Reid and Sigrist

Reid and Sigrist was an English engineering company based at Desford, Leicestershire. It was an instrument manufacturer in the interwar era, specialising in aircraft applications and mainly producing aircraft parts and instruments, but later became a camera manufacturer. During World War II it was also involved in aircraft maintenance.

History

Fred Sigrist was a Managing Director of Hawker Aircraft and the company was set up to supply parts for Hawker aircraft.

Aircraft instruments

The company's main product was aircraft instruments, with the most notable being a turn and slip indicator.

Aircraft production

R.S.3 Desford

In 1937 the company formed an aviation division at the New Malden, Surrey factory site.[1] The first product was a twin-engined advanced trainer, the R.S.1 "Snargasher" (1939) which was eventually relegated to company "hack" used primarily at the factory and Desford aerodrome.

Cameras

After the Second World War the company was requested by the British government to produce the Reid camera based on the Leica patents and drawings which had been seized by the Allies. The first camera went on general sale in 1951 and the company produced cameras until 1964.

  • Reid III – based on the Leica III series with production of about 1,600 cameras from 1951.
  • Reid I – a simplified version and similar to the Leica E on sale from 1958, with a production run of about 500 mainly to the British military.
  • Reid II – a proposed model announced in 1959, a Reid III without the slower speeds. It did not enter production.

References

Notes

  1. ^ Gunston 1993, p. 250.

Bibliography

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.