World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ribbleton railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0008001077
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ribbleton railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Preston, Lancashire, Fulwood, Lancashire
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ribbleton railway station

Fulwood / Ribbleton
The former station building in 2007
Location
Place Gamull Lane, Ribbleton
Area Preston
Coordinates

53°46′58″N 2°39′31″W / 53.7827°N 2.6587°W / 53.7827; -2.6587Coordinates: 53°46′58″N 2°39′31″W / 53.7827°N 2.6587°W / 53.7827; -2.6587

Operations
Original company Preston and Longridge Railway
Pre-grouping Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway/London and North Western Railway
Post-grouping London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Platforms 1
History
1854 Opened as Gammer Lane
1856 Renamed Fulwood
1900 Renamed Ribbleton
31 May 1930 Closed
1980 Line closed; tracks and bridge removed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal
Maps showing
Fulwood / Ribbleton Station
Old OS Maps (estimated 1925 to 1945)
NPE Maps (1947-48)
Vision of Britain  
OS 1:2500 Map on MARIO (about 1893)
OS 1:10000 Map on MARIO (about 1847)
Other maps

53°46′58″N 2°39′31″W / 53.7827°N 2.6587°W / 53.7827; -2.6587

Ribbleton railway station was on the Preston and Longridge Railway in Ribbleton, a suburb of Preston, Lancashire, England.

When the station opened in 1854 it was at first called Gammer Lane[1] (which appears to be a misspelling of Gamull Lane, on which the station was located). Two years later, the line was bought by the Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Junction Railway and the station was renamed Fulwood Station.

Between 1863 and 1866 there was another short-lived station called Ribbleton, closer to Preston. It was not until 1900 that Fulwood Station was finally renamed Ribbleton Station. The station closed to passengers, along with the line, in 1930.

The line through the station continued to be used for goods trains until 1980. After closure the Gamull Lane bridge over the line was removed. The station building still stands, as a private house with the former trackbed through its garden. The route on either side is now a combined cycle path and footpath.

Notes

References

  • Biddle, G. (1989) The Railways Around Preston—A Historical Review, Scenes from the past, 6, Foxline Publishing, ISBN 1-870119-05-3
  • Suggitt, G. (2003, revised 2004) Lost Railways of Lancashire, ISBN 1-85306-801-2, pp.50, 51 & 55.
  • Potter, T. (1993), Reflections on Preston, Sigma Leisure, Wilmslow, ISBN 1-85058-387-0, p.46.
  • Preston to Longridge Disused Railway, Lancashire County Council website, accessed 15 June 2007

External links

  • Preston Station Past and Present — page specifically covering the Longridge Line

Template:Disused Rail Start |- style="text-align: center;" | Deepdale Street
Terminus | style="background:#Template:LNWLY colour;" rowspan="2" |   | Preston and Longridge Railway
until 1856 | style="background:#Template:LNWLY colour;" rowspan="2" |   | rowspan="2" | Grimsargh
towards Longridge |- style="text-align: center;" | Deepdale
towards Preston||L&YR / L&NWR joint
Fleetwood, Preston and West Riding Junction Railway
from 1856
|}

Template:Closed stations Lancashire Template:City of Preston, Lancashire


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.