World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Richardson Stadium

Article Id: WHEBN0005722710
Reproduction Date:

Title: Richardson Stadium  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Davidson Wildcats football, 2015 Davidson Wildcats football team, NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Championship, Irwin Belk Stadium (Wingate), American Legion Memorial Stadium
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Richardson Stadium

Richardson Stadium
Location 201 Faculty Drive
Davidson, North Carolina 28035
Owner Davidson College
Operator Davidson College
Capacity 6,000
Surface Artificial
Construction
Opened 1923
Renovated 1998
Tenants
Davidson Wildcats (NCAA)

Richardson Stadium is a 6,000-seat multi-purpose stadium in Davidson, North Carolina. It is home to the Davidson College Wildcats football and track and field teams. The stadium incorporates both Stephen B. Smith Field and Irwin Belk Track. It has also hosted the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship on three occasions from 1992-1994. Every autumn the stadium acts as the start and finish of the Davidson freshman Cake Race, where incoming students run a course around the college in competition for cakes baked by inhabitants of the local community. The facility opened in 1923 after being donated to the college by Lunsford Richardson, Jr., Davidson class of 1914, and his brother Henry Smith Richardson, Davidson class of 1906, in memory of their father, Lunsford Richardson, Sr., Davidson class of 1875. It was later renovated in 1998 and again in 2005 with the latter providing upgraded amenities including expanded seating, a new press box, weight room, and visitor's locker room.

Occasionally the stadium will host Charlotte Eagles Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matches when their stadium is not big enough for demand.

External links

  • Richard Stadium
Preceded by
USF Soccer Stadium
Host of the College Cup
1992–1994
Succeeded by
Richmond Stadium


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.