World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rue Saint-Honoré

Article Id: WHEBN0007919246
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rue Saint-Honoré  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Henri Dupuy de Lôme, Congregation of the Feuillants, Louise Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun, Molière, Saint-Roch, Paris
Collection: 1St Arrondissement of Paris, Streets in Paris
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Rue Saint-Honoré

Rue Saint-Honoré
Rue Saint-Honoré, Paris
Length 1,840 m (6,040 ft)
Width 20 m (66 ft) 17.50m 14.60m
Arrondissement 1st, 8th
Quarter Les Halles. Palais Royale. Place Vendôme.
From 21 rue des Halles
To 14 rue Royale
Denomination December 10, 1847

The rue Saint-Honoré is a street in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, France.

It is named after the collegial Saint-Honoré church situated in ancient times within the cloisters of Saint-Honoré.

The street, on which are located a number of museums and upscale boutiques, is near the Jardin des Tuileries and the Saint-Honoré market. Like many streets in the heart of Paris, the rue Saint-Honoré, as it is now known, was laid out as early as the Middle Ages or before.

The street, at one time, continued beyond the former city walls into what was the faubourg (from Latin foris burgem, an area "outside the city"). This continuation was eventually named the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.


The rue Saint-Honoré has been given the following names in its long history:

  • The section between the rue de la Lingerie and the rue de la Tonnellerie was named the rue de la Chausseterie from 1300 to the 17th century.
  • The section between the now extinct rue Tirechappe and the rue de l'Arbre Sec was named the rue du Chastiau Festu (1300) or du Château Fêtu.
  • The section between the rue de l'Arbre Sec and the now defunct rue du Rempart was named the rue de la Croix du Trahoir, rue de la Croix du Tiroir or rue du Traihoir, du Traihouer, du Trayoir, du Trahoir, du Triouer, or du Trioir between the 13th and 14th centuries; and the rue de la chaussée Saint-Honoré from 1450.
  • The section between the now extinct rue du Rempart and the rue Royale was known successively as the chemin de Clichy (1204), grand chemin Saint-Honoré (1283), chaussée Saint-Honoré (1370), grand chemin de la porte Saint-Honoré (1392), chemin Royal (1393), nouvelle rue Saint-Louis (1407), grand rue Saint-Louis (1421), rue Neuve-Saint-Louis (1430), grande rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré (1609), chaussée Saint-Honoré (1634), rue Neuve-Saint-Honoré (1638)
  • In 1966, the part between the Palais-Royal, Théâtre Français, and place André Malraux was given the name place Colette.

Notable landmarks

  • On 8 September 1429, Jeanne d'Arc was wounded at the Porte Saint-Honoré (Saint-Honoré Gate) in her unsuccessful attack on Paris, at the time when it was held by the English.
  • In 1631, the old Porte Saint-Honoré, across from the rue de Richelieu, was torn down and replaced, facing the rue Royale.
  • In 1670, the northern fortifications of Paris were demolished and the street was called the boulevard Saint-Honoré, traversing from the rue Saint-Antoine to the rue Saint-Martin.
  • number 9: 14 May 1610, King Henry IV of France (Henri IV) was assassinated by Catholic zealot François Ravaillac.
  • number 92: 15 January 1611, the playwright known as Molière was born.
  • number 145: The Oratoire du Louvre Protestant church.
  • numbers 146, 148, and 150: The remains of King Philip II are entombed.
  • number 182: The Immeuble des Bons-Enfants, arm of the French Ministry of Culture was built between 2000 and 2004. The façade facing the street, clad with an ornamental metallic net ("résille"), is the work of Léon Vaudoyer. Executing architects were Francis Soler and Frédéric Druot.
  • number 204: The Palais-Royal (originally the Palais-Richelieu), built in 1629 by Cardinal Richelieu, is now also the seat of the Comédie-Française
  • number 211: The former Hôtel de Noailles, later Bertin, built in 1715 by Pierre Cailleteau dit Lassurance on the site of the former Hôtel Pussort, of which some parts still exist, surrounded by buildings of the Hôtel Saint-James et Albany.
  • numbers 263 and 265: Église Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption de Paris
  • number 273: During the French Revolution, Sieyès lived at this address.
  • number 284: Église Saint-Roch
  • number 398: Maximilien de Robespierre was sheltered by Maurice Duplay. The cart which took Robespierre to the guillotine on the place de la Concorde on 28 July 1794 made a stop in front of this house.


  • Bernard Stéphane and Franz-Olivier Giesbert. Petite et Grande Histoire des rues de Paris. Paris: Albin Michel, 2000. ISBN 2-226-10879-3. ISBN 978-2-226-10879-1
  • Bernard-Claude Galey. Origines surprenantes des noms de villages, des noms des rues de Paris et de villes de province. Paris: Le Cherche Midi, 2004. ISBN 2-7491-0192-1. ISBN 978-2-7491-0192-7.
  • Anne Thorval. Promenades sur les lieux de l'histoire: D'Henri IV à Mai 68, les rues de Paris racontent l'histoire de France. Paris: Paragamme, 2004. ISBN 2-84096-323-X. ISBN 978-2-84096-323-3.
Henri Dupuy de Lôme lived 374 rue Saint-Honoré from 1857 until his death in 1885.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.