World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rutland Island, County Donegal

Article Id: WHEBN0006030003
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rutland Island, County Donegal  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of islands of Ireland, The Rosses, 1784 in Ireland, 1798 in Ireland
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rutland Island, County Donegal

Rutland Island (Irish: Inis Mhic an Doirn), also sometimes known as Inishmacadurn, is an island in County Donegal, Ireland, and an electoral and census reporting district covering it, surrounding islands and part of the mainland. The island itself has no permanent inhabitants, but the district, which includes Burtonport and its environs, had 1,428 residents in 2006. The island lies between Burtonport and the inhabited Arranmore Island, and is not officially served by ferry.

The island was previously populated, with a planned settlement having been installed by William Burton Conyngham from 1784, including a street of residences and business premises, with the area's post office, and a school house, and a fish landing and processing facility. While fish catches declined heavily even shortly after construction, with services closing or leaving, the island remained inhabited into the 1960s.

Mains electricity reached the island in 1957, due to it being a crucial stepping stone for the Arranmore supply, but piped water has never been provided for its remaining housing stock, which consists entirely of holiday homes.

A documentary was filmed about the history of the island and its influence on Irish history during the summer of 2007.

Rutland island has become a popular holiday destination with a number of holiday homes been built in the first decade of the 2000s.

Fauna

Badgers have been recorded from this Island.[1]

Flora

The following algae have been reported from Rutland South Channel: Gracilaria gracilis (Stackhouse) Steentoft, L.M. Irvine et Farnham; Rhodymenia holmesii Ardissone; Polysiphonia fucoides (Hudson) Greville; Polysiphonia nigra (Hudson) Batters; Sphondylothamnion multifidum (Hudson) Nägeli; Heterosiphonia plumosa (J. Ellis) Batters. [2]

References

Coordinates: 54°58′41″N 8°27′27″W / 54.97806°N 8.45750°W / 54.97806; -8.45750

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.