World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saddle River Township, Bergen County, New Jersey (Historical)

Article Id: WHEBN0017780771
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saddle River Township, Bergen County, New Jersey (Historical)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fair Lawn, New Jersey, Saddle River
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saddle River Township, Bergen County, New Jersey (Historical)

This article is about the historical Saddle River Township. For the modern borough, see Saddle River, New Jersey.

Saddle River Township was a township that existed in pre-American Revolutionary War times, that included all portions of Bergen County, New Jersey west of the Saddle River. After many departures, secessions and deannexations over the centuries, Saddle River Township exists today as Saddle Brook, which adopted its present name by a referendum passed on November 8, 1955.

The township was created in March 1716, making it one of the oldest townships in Bergen County. Saddle River Township was created from all of the territory in Bergen County west of the Saddle River, within the area that had been known as New Barbadoes Township, which itself had been set off from Essex County and added to Bergen County in 1710.

Saddle River Township derived its name from its resemblance to a saddle before its boundaries were changed. It was bounded on the north by Ridgewood, south by Lodi, east by the Saddle River (named from the Township) and west by the Passaic River. In 1724, the Township formally seceded from New Barbadoes.

Saddle River Township was split up in 1772 by royal decree with the northernmost half becoming Franklin Township. The new Township was named after Governor of New Jersey William Franklin, son of Benjamin Franklin.

Pompton Township was established in 1797 from parts of both Franklin and Saddle River Townships west of the Ramapo River, leaving sections of both townships disconnected to the west of Pompton Township. West Milford Township was formed from the discontinuous, western sections of both Franklin and Saddle River townships in 1834.

In the initial wave of "Boroughitis," Glen Rock on September 14, 1894 (also included portions of Ridgewood Township) and Lodi on December 22, 1894 (also included portions of Lodi Township) were created. Wallington was formed on January 2, 1895 (including portions of Lodi Township) and Garfield on April 19, 1917 (including portions of Wallington). East Paterson was formed via referendum on April 18, 1916 (named changed to Elmwood Park effective January 1, 1973) and Fair Lawn was the last to leave, on April 5, 1924.

The remaining portion of Saddle River Township was changed to Saddle Brook, which adopted its current name by a referendum passed on November 8, 1955.

Sources

  • "History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1630-1923;" by "Westervelt, Frances A. (Frances Augusta), 1858-1942."
  • "Municipal Incorporations of the State of New Jersey (according to Counties)" prepared by the Division of Local Government, Department of the Treasury (New Jersey); December 1, 1958.

External links

  • Bergen County Townships and Municipalities
  • Dutch Door Genealogy: Bergen County New Jersey Municipalities

Coordinates: 40°54′00″N 74°05′24″W / 40.900°N 74.090°W / 40.900; -74.090

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.