World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint Patrick Catholic Church, Honolulu

Saint Patrick Roman Catholic Church in Kaimuki, Hawai‘i

Saint Patrick Catholic Church, Honolulu is a pipe organ, are attractive to prospective couples seeking nuptial rites.

Although it falls under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Honolulu, the parish is owned by the Fathers and Brothers of the Sacred Hearts (Picpus) through papal indult and in recognition of the missionary efforts of the Picpus congregation in establishing the church in the Hawaiian Islands. The church is frequently the site of religious professions, ordinations and obsequies for the members of the Hawaiian Province of the Picpus congregation.


  • Church, Monastery and Rectory 1
  • School 2
  • Today 3
  • Sources 4
  • External links 5

Church, Monastery and Rectory

Msgr. pipe organ, the church was complete.

Following the Second World War, Father Andrew LaRiviere, SS.CC., transformed the front of the church property into an open space suitable for parking on Sundays. In 1935 a passing Benedictine monk drew a set of plans for a monastery for the priests and brothers of the Sacred Hearts congregation. The plan came to fruition and a monastery-rectory consonant with the church's Romanesque architecture served the church until 1963, when pastor Father Albert Leunens, SS.CC., constructed a new rectory in the Romanesque style made separate from the monastery.

Fr. Clarence Gurriero, is the current Pastor. Fr. Thomas Choo, is the current Parochial Vicar


A school was opened in September 1930, built with wood salvaged from the old Saint Louis College on River Street. The school was staffed by the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts and started with three grades. Eventually, the school consisted of eight grades and a kindergarten. With the increasing population in Kaimuki, the school was expanded to a double school in 1943, due to the efforts of two carpenter religious, Brothers Sylvester Barbe, SS.CC., and Wenceslaus Van Vorst, SS.CC. In January 1950, a fire destroyed the auditorium and all but two classrooms. Father Lawrence Mampaey, SS.CC., immediately set out to rebuild the school with the assistance of volunteers and parishioners. By summer of 1950, a new 16-classroom building designed by architect Edwin L. Bauer and built by Pacific Construction Company was showcased during an open house.


The parish school is currently staffed by the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts and lay staff. Sister [Anne Clare De Costa], SS.CC., is the principal. The parish is administered by Fathers and Brothers of the Sacred Hearts. The current pastor of the parish is Father Clarence Guerreiro, SS.CC., assisted by parochial vicars Fathers Thomas Choo, SS.CC., and Brother Richard Kupo, SS.CC. The parish and the school have recently celebrated their 75th anniversaries, and a major capital improvement plan for the school and parish is in development.

The school has launched a three-year program to restructure the teaching learning environment. The program called "Learning for All", is based on the spirit of the Sacred Hearts, effective school research, cooperative learning and teachers as leaders.


  • Hawai‘i Catholic Herald, May 27, 1966

External links

  • Map of St. Patrick's in Honolulu

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.