World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Salviati (glassmakers)

Article Id: WHEBN0010140248
Reproduction Date:

Title: Salviati (glassmakers)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pauly & C. – Compagnia Venezia Murano, Murano glass, Tyntesfield, Gold glass, Holland of Warwick
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Salviati (glassmakers)

Ewer made by Salviati & Co, now in Walters Art Museum.

A family called Salviati were glass makers and mosaicists in Murano, Venice and also in London, working as the firm Salviati, Jesurum & Co. of 213 Regent Street, London; also as Salviati and Co. and later (after 1866) as the Venice and Murano Glass and Mosaic Company (Today Pauly & C. - Compagnia Venezia Murano). In 1898 the company's new London premises at 235 Regent Street (now the Apple Store) incorporated a set of mosaic armorials along the façade which are still visible today and were restored in 1999.

The company was founded by Dr Antonio Salviati, a lawyer from Vicenza in Northern Italy.

The family included Giulio Salviati (1843–1898) and worked on several buildings in the United Kingdom during the 19th century, including:

The company was later acquired in 1999 by the French glassmaker that would later be known as Arc International.

External links

  • The mosaics above the high altar in St David's Cathedral, Wales
  • Detail from the above - St David's Cathedral
  • Mosaic arms of Venice on the outside of the Apple Store, Regent Street, London
  • Salviati
  • Official Site of Pauly & C. | CVM - Compagnia Venezia Murano


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.