World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Antonio de Padua

Article Id: WHEBN0009183127
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Antonio de Padua  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: National University of the West, Néstor Ortigoza, Yamil Asad, Padua (disambiguation), July 2007 Argentine winter storm
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Antonio de Padua

San Antonio de Padua
The Church of San Antonio de Padua during the July 9, 2007 snowstorm, the first in the Buenos Aires area since 1918.
The Church of San Antonio de Padua during the July 9, 2007 snowstorm, the first in the Buenos Aires area since 1918.
Coat of arms of San Antonio de Padua
Coat of arms
San Antonio de Padua is located in Greater Buenos Aires
San Antonio de Padua
San Antonio de Padua
Location in Greater Buenos Aires
Coordinates:
Country  Argentina
Province Buenos Aires
Partido Merlo
Elevation 20 m (70 ft)
Population (2001 census [INDEC])
 • Total 37,775
 • Density 6,039.2/km2 (15,641/sq mi)
CPA Base B 1718
Area code(s) +54 220

San Antonio de Padua, or plainly Padua, is a city in the Greater Buenos Aires, in Argentina. It is located in Merlo Partido. The city has an area of 6.25 km2 (2 sq mi) and a population of around 38,000.

The name commemorates the village founded by Francisco de Merlo, Villa San Antonio del Camino in 1755, named for the Portuguese saint Anthony of Padua. The city is on one of the major rail and road arteries and is well connected to the most important cities of the western Greater Buenos Aires.

Padua is bordered by the partido of Ituzaingó (north and east), other localidades of Merlo (west and southwest) and Libertad (south).

Padua is basically a flat, low-rise city, with few buildings over two stories, so the skyline is still dominated by the spire of the Church of San Antonio de Padua. The building emerges in the center of a peaceful middle-class neighborhood of white-painted and red-barrel-tiles-roofed houses. The church was inaugurated in 1931 and few years later a Franciscan monastery and a catholic school were erected at its side. The church was built in a Romanesque style and is one of the Padua’s landmark buildings.

The commercial center is around the main avenue, Avenida Noguera, stretching six blocks from the railroad station, Estación San Antonio de Padua to the east.

The city status was conferred on September 11, 1974 by the Buenos Aires (Province) Legislature.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Sports 2
    • Sport Clubs 2.1
  • External links 3

History

Near the railway station.
Commercial area.

The present-day territory of Padua was pasture until the 1920s. This area —between the towns of Ituzaingó and Merlo— was filled with many farms when members of the British community founded the Ituzaingó Golf Club in 1919.

The golf club took its name from the nearby town of Ituzaingó and almost all of its first members were white-collar workers of the British-owned railway company Buenos Aires Western Railway Co. that operated the Once-Moreno railway line from 1890 to 1946.

In order to reach the golf course the company opened a railway stop in 1923, just 10 meters from the club house. In the opening ceremony participated members of the catholic clergy and the railway stop was consecrated to Saint Anthony of Padua. Through the next years the railway stop and the surrounding town were known as San Antonio de Padua.

The town started in the 1930s with the first houses built around the railway station and the opening of the parish church in 1931; San Antonio de Padua grew steadily over the decades and it bloomed in the 1950s.

In the 1970s the commercial district of San Antonio de Padua —built around the main street Avenida Noguera and next to the railway station— became the most important commercial district in the entire partido of Merlo.

Sports

Club San Antonio de Padua (CASA de Padua), founded on December 12, 1926, is the city's sport club. In its facilities the locals can play a large range of sports such as basketball, hockey, tennis and rugby. In 1995 the rugby team competed in the first division of the Buenos Aires Rugby Union (URBA) championship.

Sport Clubs

  • (Spanish) Club Atlético San Antonio de Padua
  • (Spanish) CASA de Padua Rugby Club
  • (Spanish) Ituzaingó Golf Club

External links

  • Ricardo Güiraldes Public Library
  • San Antonio de Padua City Portal
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.