San Camillo de Lellis

San Camillo de Lellis is a church on Via Sallustiana, Rome, Italy. It is dedicated to Saint Camillus de Lellis.

It was built under Pope Pius X, with construction (under the architect Tullio Passarelli) commencing in 1906 and the first stone being laid by Cardinal Antonio Agliardi. It was consecrated and made a parochial church in 1910, granted to the Chierici Regolari Ministri degli Infermi, the Priest Ministers of the Sick, the order founded by Camillus. In 1965, Pope Paul VI elevated the church to the status of minor basilica.

Architecture

Exterior

The fa├žade, by Passarelli, is in the Neo-Gothic style of Lombardy. It is covered with red stone, with decorative elements in travertine. Before it is a large staircase. There are three doorways, each with a lunette with bas-relief above. Over the central one is Christ presenting Saint Camillus to the Sick, to the sides are Christ between Children and The Pardon of the Adulteress. Between the two stories is a gallery decorated with symbols of the Evangelists.

Adjacent to the church is the house of the Priest Ministers of the Sick.

Interior

The church has a Latin cross plan with three aisles divided by pillars that support arches. In a niche by the high altar is a statue of Saint Camillus by Alberto Galli, made in 1911. There is a side altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin.

External links

  • Nyborg's churches of RomeTemplate:Italy-RC-church-stub
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.