San miguel de salinas

San Miguel de Salinas
Municipality

Coat of arms

Location of Pilar de la Foradada in Comunidad Valenciana
San Miguel de Salinas
San Miguel de Salinas
Location in Spain

Coordinates: 37°58′50″N 0°47′23″W / 37.98056°N 0.78972°W / 37.98056; -0.78972Coordinates: 37°58′50″N 0°47′23″W / 37.98056°N 0.78972°W / 37.98056; -0.78972

Country  Spain
Autonomous community  Valencian Community
Province Alicante
Comarca Vega Baja del Segura
Judicial district Torrevieja
Government
 • Alcalde Ángel Sáez Huertas (2007) (PP)
Area
 • Total 54.90 km2 (21.20 sq mi)
Elevation 75 m (246 ft)
Population (2009)
 • Total 8,135
 • Density 150/km2 (380/sq mi)
Demonym Sanmiguelero -a
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 03193
Official language(s) Spanish

San Miguel de Salinas (Spanish pronunciation: [san miˈɣel de saˈlinas], Valencian: Sant Miquel de les Salines [sam miˈkɛɫ de les saˈlines]) is a town and municipality in the Valencian Community (Spain), situated in the south of the province of Alicante; in the comarca of Vega Baja del Segura. In the 2006 census, the population was 7,104.

Location and Geography

Located between Torrevieja and Murcia, San Miguel de Salinas is the highest town in the comarca. Its area (54 km²) descends from the mountain with many streams and gullies leading to the plain, known as El Llano, where the salt lakes are found. Local roads connect the town with Orihuela, Bigastro, Torrevieja and other towns in the area. From Alicante and Cartagena, the town can be accessed via the A-7 (E15) and AP-7 then the CV-940 and CV-941.

History

It is thought that settlement began in the area during Roman times, at a place known as Nisdomia. The area has always been connected to the Orihuela district but in 1836 the town's urban area was separated from it and in 1955 the municipal boundary was extended into the country to form an imaginary triangle between the Pedrera Reservoir, the Torrevieja lagoon and La Peña del Águila.

External links

  • Town Hall of San Miguel de Salinas
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.